Forums are back in action! ×

Long time lurking, goals within sight!

I started reading Nerd Fitness about December of last year, I travel (for work - all the time) and I was looking for advice on loosing weight and getting in shape.

I started seriously in January:

No sugar

Lower Carbs (limit one slice of bread a day or one serving of processed wheat products)

Supplements

Slow progression to a "paleo like" diet and tightening up the diet (not too much, mostly vegetables to satisfaction, higher quality/more natural)

Working out (how I ended up reading Nerd Fitness)

Where I started:

310 pounds and out of shape!

Pushups on the knees (not many) - about 20

Pull-ups - NONE

Crunches - about 50

Where am I now:

238 pounds (holy crap! as of this morning that is 72 pounds!)

Pushups regular - 200 (if I go for numbers, I have changed this)

Pull-ups - just five (I am working on this, I think it is pathetic, but I'm working on it)

Crunches - 500 or more (again if I go for numbers, I am changing the work-out but I just run out of time with this, I think I could go indefinitely with crunches - but why?)

I have switched from high-reps to high-weight and only barbells, no bars or machines (except the assisted pull-up machine if I use a gym while traveling).

A work in progress - I have a goal (possibly unrealistic) of a body like the current 007 actor.

Goals:

Vanity - just being honest, I am in my mid 40's and I love women and dating, this just works so much better when you are not a fat slug (and I was a fat slug!).

Fitness - I want to be able to do the things I love (backpacking, hiking, and of course meeting new people).

Health - I wanted to make sure I eliminated the bad diet and found a permanent life-long health replacement.

That's an amazing transformation, man! Congratulations! It must be hard sometimes on the road to find time to keep yourself doing these things, but you're managing really well. Keep it up!

Edward the Satyr 

Assassin-in-Training

Level 1

"Bad things happen to good people because they have the most to gain from them."

STR: 2|DEX: 2|STA: 1|CON: 3|WIS: 4|CHA: 3

That's an amazing transformation, man! Congratulations! It must be hard sometimes on the road to find time to keep yourself doing these things, but you're managing really well. Keep it up!

Thanks.

Strange I think, but I find that working out actually adds something "normal" a routine that makes life easier, and I know that if I have time I will do something that helps me sleep and eliminate worry and depression.

And I found that working hard will, at least for a bit eliminate pain! - can't beat that!

Glad to know I am not the only "older" person here!  I'll be 50 soon and am determined to remain fit and healthy in the next half of my life.  As someone who also travels a great deal for work, I am totally impressed by your success. Traveling can be such an easy excuse for slacking on exercise or allowing for bad food.

Congrats!

M2M

- Do something everyday!

First challenge: Avoiding the Demons of Autumn

Indeed, I second the congratulations!!  Working out and being consistent on the road can be a very tough thing to do.  And your transformation is amazing!!  If I could see that much of a change in my own body I would be ecstatic.  I encourage you to keep striving, but also to truly recognize how far you have come.  72 pounds is truly a feat.  You should be extremely proud of how far you have come!

Great work and keep up the amazing progress

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

Thanks all...

I would be full of BS if I said that this was not a lot of work...

I like the work, I like the results, and I like the after-effects...

I try to work-out about three to four times a week and a daily walk or hike, I never go more than three days without working out...

Sleep is better.

Life is better.

Glad to know I am not the only "older" person here!  I'll be 50 soon and am determined to remain fit and healthy in the next half of my life.  As someone who also travels a great deal for work, I am totally impressed by your success. Traveling can be such an easy excuse for slacking on exercise or allowing for bad food.

Congrats!

Old? I guess those of us of "gen X" are the transition, thinking of ourselves as "older" sometimes seems surreal...

At 46 myself, my personal health became the main issue, I had lived for everyone else for so long (raising kids, main/only breadwinner) when the kids became adults there was that strange "mid-air Wile E. Coyote" moment off the cliff" where you look stupidly at the camera and pull out the "help me" sign...

Had I known (been able to tell myself) how good life is at this age (and so much better healthy) I would never have believed it.

Remaining healthy well into old age is a big part of my motivation. I don't feel old - I'm faster and stronger than I've ever been in my life so what's not to love about that?

I forget where I just read this, (hmm, likely in Fat Chance by Robert Lustig, MD) but there is increasing evidence that the so called 'diseases of old age' are in fact diseases of poor diet, chronic inflammation (also from poor diet), and inactivity.  My plan is to dodge them!

M2M

- Do something everyday!

Remaining healthy well into old age is a big part of my motivation. I don't feel old - I'm faster and stronger than I've ever been in my life so what's not to love about that?

I forget where I just read this, (hmm, likely in Fat Chance by Robert Lustig, MD) but there is increasing evidence that the so called 'diseases of old age' are in fact diseases of poor diet, chronic inflammation (also from poor diet), and inactivity.  My plan is to dodge them!

Excellent! and yes old is bunk! My favorite fitness figure has always been Jack LaLanne...

1984 (age 70): handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, he towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.

What can you say? Age 70!!!!

Living is a pain in the butt. Dying is easy. It's like an athletic event. You've got to train for it. You've got to eat right. You've got to exercise. Your health account, your bank account, they're the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out. Exercise is king and nutrition is queen: together, you have a kingdom. - J. LaLanne

I like that last quote! I'd rate nutrition as the 'supreme ruler' although exercise is so much more enjoyable that it is the thing I rarely skimp on.

I'd like to emulate Jack - fit, healthy, still exercising up until the day before he died - oh, and I like the die quick part too! I don't want to wallow in sickness. (BTW, I'm counting on all of that being a long ways off!)

Got anything "big" planned that you are working toward?  

M2M

- Do something everyday!