Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone,

I am currently studying filmmaking in college and my school (and classes) operate 24/7.  With that said, my schedule is rather messed up on a daily basis.  I had a class from 9pm yesterday till about 4am this morning.  Another class is coming up at 9am.  I stumbled across this site during my down time and am thoroughly excited about it!

I am 6'5" and weigh roughly 310lbs.  My body fat percentage is 30%.  I played football throughout high school and lifted during that time and occasionally during school now.  Even with that, somehow I seemed to maintain a lot of weight.  Granted I have a fair amount of muscle, but there is a fairly thick layer of fat that sits on top of that muscle and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of it.  I had kind of given up on it, but what I've read so far I am very excited to start this program!

At the moment I have about $5 in my account after bills and unfortunately I just did my grocery shopping for the month, so this first month will still be unsatisfactory in terms of food.  My goals for the first month, however, is to start doing more cardio work and switch to water.  I have a major problem with the second one.  I drink a lot of soda, juice, sweet tea; literally anything that's not water.  That step is going to be incredibly difficult step for me, but I feel that once I've overcome that, I can make the food switch a lot easier.  I worked as a chef for 3 years and have a passion for cooking, so I am not worried in the slightest about doing that.  I've read a lot about the fitness guide and look forward to getting it.

I don't have to many close friends down here and am across the country from all my family, so support has been an extremely limiting factor, so this online resource will hopefully be my main drive and I'm enthralled to have the support of this massive community of people with the same interests!  I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

Thanks,

Andre

Duuuuuuuuude, studying filmmaking is like 10/10 for the best possible field of study :)

it sounds like u really have a shitty life schedule, but that should not be your excuse anymore :)

if u had/have problems with creating solid weekly routine, u might try with something extremely simple like only 1 training session per week. Only once u got that fully incorporated, you could add another one ...

Plus - do u like cardio? what kind of cardio u like? This are so crucial questions man!!! Don't do shit u don't like just cause u've heard it will burn fat better or other bs! Think what activity u enjoy and do it. You will have like 1560% more chances of sticking to it for lifetime :) add some strength training to keep your muscles and u will be fine :)

food - aaaaah food - enemy or friend? So hard to tell :D anyways - my advice - do the thing with changing sodas for water. Lots of points for health, logistically easy to do (they all comes in bottles and are easy to buy and consume), even better for your wallet I guess....!!! Maybe try do it slowly? Not all at once... once u have it, u will find new ways to make your menu healthier :)

so I welcome you in the name of nerd f community, lurk around, ask qs, maybe join the challenges, and above all ... make great movies :D

ps. don't believe shit I've been writing here cause that's just my opinion!... but do read it please, think about it and then go and ask wiser people than me... don't believe them either (same reason), but maybe soon u will have enough options and ideas, to find out which one is for u !!!

good luck and have fun :D

ps. Steve on his blog have some really good posts about starting out - my (another) advice - that's right - check them out !!

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Hey man, sorry it took so long to respond.

Right?!  Filmmaking thus far is awesome!  Definitely going to be an awesome career. 

So far, I have completely cut out all liquid calories since the first post and have made a fairly drastic change in my eating habits.  Temptations are everywhere, and I mean freaking everywhere, but for the most part I've been following a paleo diet with a few instances of dairy and grain.  After about a week of just water and paleo diet, i've got to say I'm feeling pretty damn good!  I have a lot more energy (which means I can go harder at my work out) and just feel better all around.  It's been tough this past week, but based off just these initial results I'm more than happy to keep pushing forward!

Thanks a lot for the support!

And when I make my first Hollywood movie, I'll toss your name in the credits out of good faith, haha.