Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone. I have had an account on this forum for a few months now, but I've been too shy to post. I figured today was a good enough day so here I am. :)

I am a twentysomething single mom, full time desk job, part time college, regular midwestern lady. I have a lot of random health issues such as migraines, allergies, and asthma. I am sick 3 weeks out of the month. Actually pretty typical when you think about it...

In recent months I have been focusing on getting healthy rather than losing the 60 or so lbs that I should probably lose off my 5'4" frame. I have had some success, however it's all in secret so if I cave in and eat that piece of pie there's no one to hold me accountable (this was on purpose). I thought maybe it would be nice to meet some other normal people who are trying to enhance their lives through diet/exercise. I do get an awful lot of resistance rather than encouragement.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here! I noticed Netflix has Star Trek: TNG on instant streaming so I may need a lot of encouragement not to watch it. :D

Accountable is the key word, isn't it? Just like you I'm new to the whole rebellion thing as well, so we can do this together!!

One thing I've noticed is that once you get 1 week or 2 weeks into it, you still get the odd moment of temptation but dont want to waste your hard work and cave in. it almost becomes easier to stay firm the longer you're doing it. Don't wast 5 weeks worth of sacrifice for a short term gain (gain in calories, that is).

Good luck and from what I've seen so far, the support here is great.

Long live the Rebellion!!

I am tempted to call you Misa; is that wrong?

When I was losing weight, I noticed that focusing on the scale, or on how I looked, made me very, very depressed. Focusing on what your body can do makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.:D On that note, any goals you want to reach? Any specific allergens or items you want to cut out or minimise in your diet, any specific physical achievements you want to reach (other than 'be healthy'?).

Good luck!

I would also say; go ahead and watch Star Trek. Just do push-ups, or stretches or something at the same time.

Very cool, welcome aboard. I can't say I know Star Trek:TNG as well as others, but I have watched my fair share of episodes. I think you took a huge first step by making yourself known and asking for help. As Deis asked, it would be great to know what your goals are.

Beyond that, good luck!

I am tempted to call you Misa; is that wrong?

When I was losing weight, I noticed that focusing on the scale, or on how I looked, made me very, very depressed. Focusing on what your body can do makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.:D On that note, any goals you want to reach? Any specific allergens or items you want to cut out or minimise in your diet, any specific physical achievements you want to reach (other than 'be healthy'?).

Nah you can call me Misa. That's fine with me.

With the goals.. where to start? I know I need to do a lot of work with being satisfied with my body - changing how I view food and exercise and being over weight. I imagine I will still think I'm overweight if I lost enough not to be considered so (I am 30 lbs down and 60lbs left). Mostly right now my short term goals would be to be able to have what I would consider average physical ability: to be able to carry many grocery bags up many flights of stairs without getting winded, to spend a day walking around town with my boyfriend, to help lift heavy furniture when friends/family move, etc.

As far as nutrition goes, I would be satisfied if I could get to a point where mostly everything I ate was healthy for me and made me feel good. I am allergic to soy, shellfish, and gluten for sure. I also have really bad allergies to dust/mold/pollen/pet dander so when those are going on I usually want to reach for wheat products to soothe myself. I also have a horrible sugar addiction. I find myself making poor choices often, even though I know what's good for me. Either I'm really tired or something hurts or I'm cranky or "someone spent money on me for this slice of pie! I have to eat it!" Even knowing that I'm allergic to gluten - it's been 2 months and I still haven't 100% cut out all gluten. But I tell myself... today is going to be a better day. I packed a great lunch so I'm excited.

Whew I feel rambly now. :)