Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys, I've read a lot of the stuff on this website, and after a lot of deliberation and wondering I've decided that I am finally going to go balls out for what I want. Here's a bit of background:

I'm a 19 year old Kiwi Male (New Zealand for those of you who don't know). There's a lot of stuff on this site about dealing with the cards you get dealt. Well, to be honest, I've been lucky. I've been dealt a pretty good hand. I'm a naturally intelligent guy, I'm not ugly, I'm not naturally overweight, if anything a little under. But all of these are pretty much irrelevant for what I want out of my life. Like almost every Kiwi guy who plays the great sport of Rugby Union - I want to be an All Black. The All Blacks are the national team of New Zealand, a team steeped in tradition and success. The All Blacks have the best winning ratio of any team in international rugby.

But, as you might imagine, its a long way to the top. Only 1% of rugby players who play rugby become professional. Less than that make the next level of professional rugby (Super Rugby, Heineken Cup etc). Even less make international teams. And I started with more disadvantages than most, I came into the game late. I started playing at 15. I taught myself almost everything I know about the game, I've never had good coaches. I play for an u21 premier team in a time where most up and coming players play already for Provincial Unions, or are in Academies.

I've wanted this for as long as I picked up the rugby ball, but in a hopeful way. In a way that I thought 'It'd be awesome if I could do that'. But today I made a decision, I'm taking as much of it away from chance as I can. I'm going to work harder than everyone else. I'm going to train harder, more, and smarter than everyone else in my position. I don't have long to make it. Realistically If I don't get anywhere by the time I'm 22 I probably won't. But I'm ready to have a crack, ready to 'play the cards I've been dealt' as I've read on here.

If you think I'm arrogant, or a dreamer, fine. Be welcome to think that. If you want to follow me and hear about my journey as it begins and progresses, I'm going to make a commitment to post on here in a thread weekly, about my triumphs and successes and my obstacles. I hope I can provide readers with a bit of entertainment, and ultimately, if I get where I want to go, inspiration.

Hope you guys might be interested.

Cheers

Love it!! Although just as long as you dont score a winning try to beat the Wallabies in the dying seconds of a Bledisloe, everything will be alright!! LOL

Never had good coaches? How about, the coaches in the past have shown you what you already know and the things you need to learn from others? They've shown you you need to seek out others to help you get to where you want. There will always be plenty of 'knockers', so stay focused and just like the classic clip "stay on target". There's a fine line between arrogance and supreme confidence, so be confident in your abilities and use the doubters to inspire and motivate you even further.

Best of Luck

This is as epic a goal to set for oneself as any. I played some rugby at college, got my first and only concussion. That is a (wo)MAN's game, no boys and girls allowed. May you succeed with flying colors.

Sidenote, know any of the dirty rugby chants? =) Used to have a good time singing those after games and chugging beers.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee