Forums are back in action! ×

Skrawny guy from North of the Border

Hi, I linked to this forum from the "a-skinny-guys-guide-to-building-muscle-and-bulking-up" article.  

I figured it was called Nerd Fitness because everyone else here was skrawny too, but from reading the introductions here we seem to have every body type covered.

To get to the point, I'm 33, 5' 11", male, and I was 130lbs through all of high-school, college and adult life until my first kid was born.  During that pregnancy my wife was making Pasta every night and wouldn't you guess.....I GAINED 5 LBS!  I was ecstatic!  Nonetheless that's where it stopped.  Haven't moved since.

I never really found that I had much desire to gain any muscle.  I would be slightly insecure of my size once summer came and we were around a pool with people that I didn't know, but as a Canadian, this season can be so short lived that it didn't do much for my motivation.  Nonetheless I know my wife wants me to be bigger but will never admit to it, because she loves me for who I am and I appreciate that very much, but just like every other guy, I want to...."Peak her interest" (As politely as can be put).  

I've read a few different guides to this and they all seem to agree to the same point, skinny guys need to trigger their body into gaining muscle through mass amounts of calories (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that's the idea), and a workout plan to turns the calories into something other than a Beer-gut.

I've started to follow the calorie-fed meal plan linked above, as well as the workout plan, and if I'm not mistaken, I'm 3 workouts into it and have gained 4lbs already.  I can't confirm because foolishly I forgot to weight myself just prior to the workouts, but I've consistently sat at 135lbs for the last 3-years so I have to assume that I started there. 

Well see where I go from here, and if I plateau before taking it more seriously.

Happy posting. 

It really bugs her when I make my polar bear jokes.  Her answer is always "You are from Detroit.  I am from Windsor.  Windsor is SOUTH of Detroit, so why am *I* the one that had to have had a pet polar bear?!"

"Because you are the Canadian, eh".

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Excellent! :D 

I have decided to not weigh myself until New Years, because while my pants are looser, my shirts are looser, my shoulders are bigger, my legs have visible muscle definition... and I've lost 2 lbs.  

DAMN YOU SCALE.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Excellent! :D

I have decided to not weigh myself until New Years, because while my pants are looser, my shirts are looser, my shoulders are bigger, my legs have visible muscle definition... and I've lost 2 lbs.  

DAMN YOU SCALE.

Remember that muscle will always weigh more than fat. I say that like I have all kinds of experience, yet I'm a noob, and a personal trainer told me that :)

So I'm standing in the bathroom wearing a standard t-shirt and my wife pauses for a second and begins the following conversation:

Wife: Your shirt is tighter

Me: (caught off guard) what, what do you mean?

Wife:Look, right here (points to the front of my shoulder), the shirt is stretching a bit now.

Me: Huh, I never noticed that

Wife: turn sideways for a second

Me: (I oblige)

Wife: Your getting man boobs, can you make them dance yet

Me: (I oblige)

Wife (Grin)

*end of conversation*

I left for work with a smirk on my face.