Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a serial forum lurker, so here's to breaking that habit!

Greetings Nerd Fitness,

I'm SonorousHowl (or Lesley, if you prefer), and I've been reading the NF emails, and lurking the forums for a little while now.

So, where am I at right now? For my height - 5'1 - my ideal weight is about 23kgs (~50lbs for those of you across the pond) less than I am now. At present, I'm at the heaviest I've been, which sucks, but have finally come to the realisation that my goals are achieveable - so yay!

1 month ago today, I joined the gym at my workplace. I've been regularly, and have been seeing a trainer once a week. I've been doing a lot of strength training, and he's really been working on form and endurance with me, so that when I'm working out on my own, I'm doing it right. It's pretty refreshing after experiences elsewhere with trainers who want you to do nothing but cardio, and lifting light weights 400 times - those were inevitably coupled with failure. I'm actually engaged this time, I love going to the gym, I love lifting heavy things, and for the first time in a long time, I feel like I can succeed.

Have been tracking my food with MFP, and have recently acquired the Paleo Central app, so am going to aim to work towards a more paleo way of eating - one step at a time though, right?

So here's to keeping a positive outlook and achieving some goals, and hopefully this horrible flu-plague goes away ASAP so I can get back to the gym!

Thanks for reading!

-LP

I'm a serial forum lurker, so here's to breaking that habit!

Greetings Nerd Fitness,

I'm SonorousHowl (or Lesley, if you prefer), and I've been reading the NF emails, and lurking the forums for a little while now.

So, where am I at right now? For my height - 5'1 - my ideal weight is about 23kgs (~50lbs for those of you across the pond) less than I am now. At present, I'm at the heaviest I've been, which sucks, but have finally come to the realisation that my goals are achieveable - so yay!

1 month ago today, I joined the gym at my workplace. I've been regularly, and have been seeing a trainer once a week. I've been doing a lot of strength training, and he's really been working on form and endurance with me, so that when I'm working out on my own, I'm doing it right. It's pretty refreshing after experiences elsewhere with trainers who want you to do nothing but cardio, and lifting light weights 400 times - those were inevitably coupled with failure. I'm actually engaged this time, I love going to the gym, I love lifting heavy things, and for the first time in a long time, I feel like I can succeed.

Have been tracking my food with MFP, and have recently acquired the Paleo Central app, so am going to aim to work towards a more paleo way of eating - one step at a time though, right?

So here's to keeping a positive outlook and achieving some goals, and hopefully this horrible flu-plague goes away ASAP so I can get back to the gym!

Thanks for reading!

-LP

23 kg?  Are you serious?  Your bone structure must be exceptionally fine, meaning petite.  I've known lots of people who are 5'1 and most are healthy at 90 - 120 lbs.  Regardless, very cool that you have engaged the iron, lots of good things come from that.  Be prepared though, muscle is dense and weighty.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

23 kg?  Are you serious?  Your bone structure must be exceptionally fine, meaning petite.  I've known lots of people who are 5'1 and most are healthy at 90 - 120 lbs.  Regardless, very cool that you have engaged the iron, lots of good things come from that.  Be prepared though, muscle is dense and weighty.

Sorry, I think you misread it. I realise the conversion in brackets kind of broke the sentence up a bit weirdly - my bad! Rest assured that no, I'm not aiming for a ridiculously tiny weight. 

What I meant was that my ideal weight is 23kgs less than I am now - aiming for a 23kgish loss. So around ~60kgs, which is fairly close to my maintenance weight before I chunked out. Sorry about the miscomm! :)

Whew!  I was thinking you had hollow bones:)  Have you developed a time line for your target weight?  Some of these people have achieved amazing loss within a year, like a hundred+ lbs, but some of us struggle with that unsightly 15 lbs around the middle month after month.  Dunno where they find the will to sustain their programs day in and day out, but they're probably worth listening to.  Do you have a challenge thread?

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Whew!  I was thinking you had hollow bones:)  Have you developed a time line for your target weight?  Some of these people have achieved amazing loss within a year, like a hundred+ lbs, but some of us struggle with that unsightly 15 lbs around the middle month after month.  Dunno where they find the will to sustain their programs day in and day out, but they're probably worth listening to.  Do you have a challenge thread?

Taking it as it comes. Ideally, I'd like to be 10kg down by the end of the year then just keep going from there, but as long as I'm still making progress and I'm lifting heavier, have more endurance, feel better about myself, and have more confidence, then I'm happy. Those are still really good achievements, and I'll take those as wins even if the scales aren't showing a loss. If I can see a change in my body, my clothes fit different, and I feel stronger, then hey, it's just a number. But if I had to put a date to it, I'd say my 28th birthday - next July - would be pretty incredible to have gotten to my goals. :)

I don't have a challenge thread, you recommend taking a look?

Just had a look at some of them - awesome way to record your goals and stay accountable. I think I might throw one down at some point soon. :)

Yes, do it! Its a really good way to start completing goals and stuff. The next 6 week challenge is on Sept 16 I think :)

Black Half-Hobbit Half-Human

Level 1, Rebel

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action." ~ Benjamin Disraeli