Forums are back in action! ×

Six days slow carb = 1/2" waist lost!

Today marks my 6th day sticking strictly to the Slow-Carb diet as detailed in the 4-hour body. My weigh-in for the week isn't until tomorrow, but this morning when I woke up I went, "I just want to measure one little thing" and grabbed the tape measure for a quick go-round.

Lo and behold, in only a week a 1/2" in waist reduction! I even measured it twice 'cause I didn't quite believe it. 1/2" down, 3 1/4 to go!

It's basically an 80/20 paleo diet with legumes for some added carb. When I went paleo'ish, I had a really difficult time adjusting to very very low carb, even with added fat, so the beans (even if they are poison) are helpful. And I'm sticking with it, so that's helpful too. :)

It's super simple, which is the main reason adherence is high. If you're interested (or generally fascinated by self-experimentation like I am) you might buy The 4-hour body which has stuff on diet, exercise, supplements, sex, sleep and swimming, and is a fun read all around (and as a scientist who works on metabolic stuff, most of it seems pretty spot on). That said, here's the main chapter on the diet:

http://gizmodo.com/5709913/4+hour-body-+-the-slow+carb-diet

Basically you may eat whatever vegetables and meat you'd prefer, beans (though garbanzos are recommended to be used in moderation), coffee, red wine, tea, and oils/fats in whatever quantity you deem necessary to not be hungry. Continue as normal with life, exercise, etc. Have one day a week off, where you eat whatever you feel like.

less water retention FTW!

Well, not really. Some pretty crazy changes can be seen in the initial stages of a new eating/workout style.

I have no problem celebrating the little things, just don't fall into the trap of expecting it every week or you'll rapidly be discouraged.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Hah! Not to worry - this was a complete surprise and on the "WTF" side of good, which is why I went Woot! I'm fully aware this is an outlier (likely due to a combo of change in diet, lady hormones, general eating, etc) but I was just darned excited. Thanks for the warning, though!