Forums are back in action! ×

Journey to a new lifestyle! (Novel mode unlocked) :)

Newbie on deck! I have been reading the blogs and countless inspirational stories on here truly pumped!

I have been working in the IT field for the past 10 years and countless late nights on the job and being an avid gamer put me in a not so awesome spot fitness wise. That all changed for me about 4 months ago when I changed from the hustle and bustle of in-home IT support to now working from home doing remote support. I knew getting into it right away that I needed to make changes to my lifestyle or I would wake up one day with more than just a weight problem. The first and biggest change I made for myself was my diet. Where as in my past line of work it was start my day with a monster (I know terrible!) and maybe eat lunch on the go usually fast food and the same for dinner...

That faithful morning I stepped of the scale I was 247lbs. Fantastic (sarcasm) I thought to myself I need to change today! I am 28 and 6'1" not a healthy weight.

So onto the diet. Cut out all soda and energy drinks cold turkey. Picked up water. I drink black coffee, unsweet tea (black or green). Started eating breakfast after all it is the most important meal of the day :D. Started preparing my meals for the week. Did a ton of research. Got a good multi vitamin and omega 3 supplement. Lean pork chicken or fish for lunch and dinner. Apples, fiber bars, and almonds make up my daily snacks and a night time protien shake for after work out.

Oh wait I have to figure out work outs. Started a 5 day cardio regimine started walking 1 mile a day and have gotten up to 4 miles. Well that worked awesome for the first 3 months - 20 lbs down great but I can't do only cardio forever I needed to incorporate some weight training so to present day I am down to 218 doing a few days of weight training.

Nerd fitness really resonates with me and my goals to change my lifestyle. I am happy I have found a support community to help me continue to push through challenges and roadblocks.

"Reality is irrelevant perception is everything, Deserve Victory."

I can relate - I work from home also and I sometimes spend 10 or 12 hours at the computer.  I did finally move the treadmill in my office and put a board across the arms - that, with an extra monitor mounted above the treadmill and a wireless keyboard and mouse - I can walk on the treadmill and still do some work. (Just strolling, not walking to get my heart rate up, but hey, it beats sitting in the chair all day.)  Just starting weight training.  Good luck with your program, it sounds like you're doing great!

Level 0 Elf Adventurer

STR:1  |  DEX:3  |  STA:2  |  CON:4  |  WIS:3  |  CHA:2

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H.L. Menken