Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

I just discovered the Nerd Fitness website a few weeks ago, but I already feel like this is the place for me. I've never really posted in any kind of forum before, but I'm starting to understand the importance of really reaching out to others.

Here's where I am starting: I am about to turn 27, I am 5'7", and weigh 220lbs. Due to a fun cocktail of genetics, a love of food, and a very sedentary lifestyle, I've been overweight since I was about 16 or 17 years old. Back in my early twenties, I actually discovered that I had a condition called Cushings, which is a hormonal imbalance that caused a lot of my weight gain. At my heaviest, I was about 235lbs. Once I was able to get my hormones regulated, the weight dropped off and I was able to get down to about 195lbs without even trying, but soon enough my lifestyle allowed the weight to slowly creep back up to where it is today.

I've never been athletic and I've never belonged to a gym, and though I do enjoy hiking it is very rare that I have a chance to get out there. I grew up playing Zelda and Final Fantasy as my main form of recreation, and as a writer I still spend a lot of my time on the computer out of necessity. I've never been good at follow-through when it comes to eating better or working out, but I feel like Nerd Fitness might be able to provide just the motivation and inspiration I've been needing.

My game plan: taking things slow in the beginning, and working on building better habits in my life in general. First, getting myself to work out regularly, by taking walks, doing Steve's Beginner Body Weight work out, and using a Belly Dance fitness video (I've been doing belly dance on and off for years). I'll be trying to eat as well as I can, and I've already cut out a lot of sugar and bad carbs out of my daily eating, but will cut myself some slack on food while I'm working on my exercise habits. Eventually, I plan to go full Paleo, which I have already played around with a bit in the past.

I don't really have a goal weight at this point, but just want to focus on taking care of my body as best I can. I'd like to feel comfortable in my body no matter what I am wearing, I'd like to have natural energy and not rely on coffee and energy drinks to get things done, and I'd like to feel confident that I am living up to my full potential in everything that I do.

Aloha DiddieKat,

Welcome to Nerdfitness, I as well just found this site a couple of weeks ago and been exploring all the great articals and getting motivated in better my own life.  I just wanted to say you can do it... Your off to a great start ... I just wanted to show my support to my Fellow Rebel :pride:

JAX

JAX of HEART, level 3 Water elemental. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers STR 5|DEX 3|STA 4|CON 6|WIS 4|CHA 4