Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from the Big Apple! A bit of a novel but I felt compelled to share today

Hello all!

I have been lurking around and reading for a few months and finally decided to start posting.  I wasn't sure at first what to say but it seems to be coming pretty easily.  I'll start with my stats.  I am a 29 year old female, 5'2" currently weighing in at 145 pounds.

I've always been active since I was a kid.  I grew up in the sticks of New Jersey near the Delaware Water Gap where they are more deer and cows than people.  I spent a lot of time playing sports, hiking, and mountain biking but always remained on the heavier side.  

When I was in 7th grade, I found field hockey and never looked back.  I played through middle school, college, and into grad school and was in the best shape of my life before real life hit.  I graduate with my Masters', moved to England to work for a year and good diet/exercise went out the window.  After moving back to the States, I realized changes had to be made but wasn't sure where to start

For the past 5 years due to family stress, personal stress and life changes, my weight and eating habits have fluctuated.  I have lost and gained 20 pounds multiple times in the past few years.  I had gotten very frustrated because I couldn't seem to find the magic formula to help keep me healthy and strong.  I have run 4 half marathons and 100 mile relay in the past 3 years but the weight has not stayed off.  

These last two years have shown me what I need.  Dietwise, I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease two years ago and have committed to living a healthy diet (healthy in the sense of my disease and overall health).  Eliminating gluten has at times been a challenge but also an adventure.  Finding healthy gluten free alternatives gives me a creative outlet.  I am constantly sharing recipes with friends and family. 

Activity has been a soul searching kind of journey.  Last July I broke my ankle two weeks after running a half marathon.  I ate and drank my sorrows away for several months until I was mobile only to find myself 20 pounds heavier and way more out of shape than I have ever been.  I was mortified.  In the spring, I trained for a half marathon but was dismayed to find none of the weight came off.  In June, I started weightlifting combined with mainly Paleo diet.  Along with weightlifting, rock climbing, biking, running and HIIT workouts are my form of therapy at the end of a long day.  

I have dropped close to 15 pounds and am stronger than I ever have been.  I signed up for a Tough Mudder in October and am excited to train for it.  I am constantly inspired by the people on this site and it is great to have a place to come for support.  My boyfriend, family and friends are really supportive of my attempts at a healthier lifestyle and some of them have started to make changes in response to me.  It makes me happy to think that my story can help others just like all of your stories have helped me.

My goals are:

1. To continue to eat a gluten free diet to help me maintain a healthy lifestyle

2. To successfully complete a Tough Mudder (7 weeks away)

3. To do 5 pull ups (I can currently do 1)

Hello to the NF Rebellion!

Welcome! Good luck on the Tough Mudder! I haven't done it, but I've done the Spartan Beast Course (13miles in the mountains w/ obstacles) and it was pretty amazing. Advice on that one is to be sure that you're running hills ahead of time. I'm not sure if it's translate to the Tough Mudder.

Good luck!

LVL 3 Half-Elf   |   Assassin-Ranger
STR 3.3 | CON 5.6 | DEX 4.4
WIS 4.7 | STA 5.6 | CHA 2.0

Level 1 - Into the Fray

Level 2 - Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Level 3 - A Slight Change in Direction

Achievements (Weight 132#)

Deadlift:     355 lbs

Back Squat:   250 lbs

Front Squat:  225 lbs

Clean & Jerk: 165 lbs