Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, fellow nerds!

I'm a middle aged man, who started programming in early 80s, and still a professional programmer/software engineer.

But, my greatest love is playing tennis, and almost always thinking about improving my tennis skils.

Well, I do make electronics, play with Arduino, and do programming for volunteer work, but it's minor activities. The game wise, I don't play other than Gran Tourismo on PS3. RPG is fun but I don't have time for that. Tennis is always my priority.

After a knee problem (tendenitus) and sickness forced me to not play it for a while (total of 2 and half years in 4 year period), not only I gained weight (30-40lbs?) , but I realized I lost a lot of muscle. My serve is not as fast as used be.

Since May with my doctor's OK, I got back on my fitness. First, I started from bike ride, lost weight. But in hind sight, that contributed losing muscle.

Neither diet nor excercise was quite right. I have to admit that biking helped my cardio quite a bit, which helps tennis too.

After finding Nerd Fitness around mid July, I started cooking a lot of paleo and mostly paleo food, some strength training at home.

In July and August, I lost about another 12lbs, bringing my weight to 163lbs now. I'm in decent shape - some smallish fat around bellies, but still lacking power and speed.

I want to lose another 5lbs or so, but weight is not an issue. Losing out fat and getting faster and stronger is the goal.

My problem is, how to balance the weight training and tennis. I don't want to go play tennis when I have muscle pain everywhere. I probably play at least 3 times a week. Though, I need some power, I need to be flexible and quick on the court. Flexibility helps me from injuries. I want to play tennis as long as possible.

For the NF site, I'm not sure where to start. I looked at the guild thing but none of them seem to fit what I want to do, trained to be a better tennis player. So, I'd appriciate if someone can help me out.

Geek out.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava