Forums are back in action! ×

Good evening... I mean morning!

I feel like I should post something after lurking on this site for hours now. I'm just going to type down stream of consciousness ,since introductions are always the most difficult.

I'm here because I was thinking this afternoon, while playing skyrim,"Man... I really wish there was a work out that worked like a quest. If someone gave me a list of things to do I could check off. The meta achievement and progress of something like that would really appeal to me." After a short run, where I hurt myself from not remembering to stretch, I typed in nerd, fitness and reddit into google. Links brought me here. I really don't have much a clue about what I'm doing, but after tossing the last bag of Combos I will ever eat into the trash, I'm ready to knock this out!

Video games are starting to lose their appeal to me it seems. Where once I was content to lounge around and play all day, they no longer hold my attention for more than a few hours. I've begun running and on the lookout for things I can do around my college campus, but I always get winded too quickly and retreat to my lair. Well no more! I rolled up my character and it seems that my lot in life is to be an Assassin. I'm going to cram my brain with knowledge tomorrow and try to jump head first into the six week challenge on Thursday. I'm sick of feeling like I can't cross that field or run that track or climb that rock.

One last thing I want to change. I have a crippling fear of being in the gym. I always feel like overweight people can go, because "Good for you man! You're working hard! Keep it up!" and strong people can go because it looks like they live there. I've always felt small and out of place. I'm just super out of shape and feel like people on the other machines, especially other guys waiting to use machines, are looking at me and thinking,"What are you trying to prove?" I want to get to a place where I no longer feel insecure about my body's abilities.

Level 1 Adventurer 

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

hi! also a newbie here, and started going to the gym 3 weeks ago :) i got a training program with machines from a gymguy, which i did for a week and felt good about it cause i was also a bit scared. it felt safe. but that week i found this site and spend ALL day every day reading fitness articles, and found another guy and told him i want to do free weights. i was scared since ive never tried squats with barbells, bench presses etc, so i sucked it up and asked for help. and as soon as i got started - i feel fucking badass. i might be the ONLY girl in the "big boys" room, i might be shoulder pressing 10kg atm, but im fucking doing it and what other people think - well, usually they just look impressed that im doing a squat, no matter its only 30kg. i know you're a guy, but my point with this rambling is do this for YOU. i see that you WANT to be there, you WANT to feel like you belong - well, the thing is that you already do. that's just in your head, so i say use your 20 seconds of courage today and just go there. ask for help if you need it and ignore those voices in your head and before you know it you'll be exactly where you want to be :) i remind myself that those buff guys also started out with 10 kg. they just worked really hard to get where they are. so go! JUST DO IT as the all-mighty steve would say :)

you have to do what others won't,

to achieve what others don't

MIND over muscle

Really not certain where to post this, so I guess I'll post here if anyone is listening. I'm hitting a bump along my quest to badassery. Now that I'm exercising (running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and several other ups) I feel like all I am doing is injuring myself. The first few days I felt phenomenal after a work out. It was as if my muscles were screaming, but telling them to stuff it was a joy. Now all I do it hurt, no longer in what feels to be a constructive manner. My ankle keeps me from running and my shoulder keeps me from lifting. Am I not going about my routine correctly? Should I be alternating days? Am I completely on the wrong track? Did anyone else new meet or is currently meeting a similar fate, and what did you do to overcome, or planning to do to overcome it?

Level 1 Adventurer 

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 1