Forums are back in action! ×

Injury as Success! ...or something like that.

Hi everyone!  I reached my half-way-to-goal weight on Sunday (92.5 lbs lost) - that's not what I'm here to woot about, but it's important for context.

I consulted Dr. Google last night about some increasing pain I've been ignoring since I started increasing my speed in my learn-to-run training.  It seems I may have developed plantar faciitis.  Me!  Developed a running injury!  Plus I'm really kind of pissed off that I have to stop my running and squats in order to allow myself the time to heal properly.  Me!  Pissed that I can't do my workout!

I did work out today, but per "doctor's" orders, I didn't do any walking/running - instead did biking and changed my body weight circuit to avoid the exercises that would exacerbate my foot.  But that's only part of the point.  The point is this:

I think I might actually be more proud of my injury and not wanting to stop working out than I am of losing over 90lbs.

That probably makes me really weird, but I decided a long time ago that I'm okay with being weird.  Above all, this makes it very clear to me that I'm not the same person I was when I began this journey nine months ago.  I kept thinking "this time's different" from all the other times I've tried to lose weight and get healthy, even though I knew it was a cliche, but this definitely proves it.  Me!  Finally making myself a priority in my life!

Anywho.  I just wanted to share, because it still doesn't seem quite real to me...  In the words of Willow Rosenberg, it's a turvy-topsy world.

Thanks for listening/reading!

Sperocras

I am many things, including: a Nerdfighter, a Beatlemaniac, a Whovian, a Potterhead, a Trekkie/er, a Buffista, a Gatehead, a Browncoat, a reader, a gardener, an aspie, and apparently also:

Level 0 Half-Elf: Str 0 Dex 0 Sta 0 Con 0 Wis 0 Cha 0

Weight lost since Jan 3, 2013: 104.9 lbs

Half-way-to-goal mark (92.5 lbs) reached! August 25, 2013

The running bit is cool, the injury part not.

As a sufferer myself, what advice did the doctor give you?

And the 90 pounds lost is fabulous, that is how much I plan on losing.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

To clarify, the "doctor" is just me searching on Google. ;) 

This link is the one that seems to have most of the various recommendations throughout the internet all compiled into one convenient page.  The only thing not on this page that's been a common sight is working on loosening calf muscles - both massage and stretching.  I don't know if all of those bits of advice will work, but even just taking yesterday off from running has resulted in a significant reduction in my pain levels.  As frustrating as it is to have to scale back my workouts, it's definitely in my best interests to allow myself the time to heal and prevent further injuries.

I have another 90 or so pounds to lose - we can encourage each other as we go :) 

Sperocras

I am many things, including: a Nerdfighter, a Beatlemaniac, a Whovian, a Potterhead, a Trekkie/er, a Buffista, a Gatehead, a Browncoat, a reader, a gardener, an aspie, and apparently also:

I feel ya, Sperocras.  Injury pride is the real deal when you've busted your ass to get there.  So I say, kudos to you!!  No go ice, rest, elevate, or do whatever Dr. G prescribed.

PS.  Working out around an injury is an pro-level move.  Inspirational stuff... really.

...and 90lbs lost?  That's freekin' amazing.  Congrats!!

You've only 3 choices in life: Give up; give in; or give it all you have.

PS.  Working out around an injury is an pro-level move.  Inspirational stuff... really.

Hah!  This comment totally made my day.  Thanks :D

I had to overcome Plantar Fasciitis myself.  I swear by this:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf

That's an awesome resource - I hadn't seen that first stretch before.  Thanks for sharing!

Sperocras