Forums are back in action! ×

WTF?! It's Nerd Fitness and I'm here!

Yeah, that's right. I'm here. Should I be? I don't know! Does it matter, because I have been reading Steve's posts (and heard a couple podcast interviews) and my disdain for the whole "fitness hipster" has ebbed. How many of you have had your Facebook or Twitter feeds bombarded with announcements about your friends "going to the gym." The gym? What's a gym? Oh, the gym. 

Right, so I like the idea of working out and losing weight. Just not the way "they" do. Enter Nerd Fitness. Holy crap, what a breath of fresh air!

So I started my fitness journey at 220 lbs, 5'10" (as the crow flies[?]) and generally very much unfit. IT guy, working my way up the ranks, less "out there" and more "on my ass." Not fat, per say, but... too much, too tired, sweaty...

So, enter NerdFitness and a wholly, undeniable desire to change my life. I started with Keto - yeah, yeah, not Paleo which I know is the in thing here, but I need to take baby steps toward my weight loss and an all-or-none approach will never work for me. Cutting out carbs alone did wonders though, along with a couch-to-5K program. Without even a whole lot to lose, I dropped 20 lbs in about a month with moderate exercise and low carbs. 

Since then, I've dropped Ct5K because A.) It's hard on my knees and B.) I agree with the Nerd Fitness interval fitness philosophy. I'm lucky enough to have a Craiglist-acquired elliptical machine in my home and I beat it to death. Ellipticals work, but it's all about intervals - when I started interval training on the elliptical, I knew I was getting a better workout than jogging. And it's knee-friendly! 

Not that you can't interval by running. The point is, the idea of running for increasingly long times was a huge hurdle for me. When I learned interval training and felt the effects it gave me, I realized I could get more out of 30-40 minutes, 3-4 times per week than I would running for an hour or more. 

I have been doing some of the beginner weight training, especially squats, and will continue doing so as I get close to my goal weight. 

So I figured it was time to introduce myself and join this great community of fitness nerds like me. Plus, GTA5, amiright???

GTA5, yo!!  :)  I was just talking about this game with my husband- the preview video looks really good!

Btw, welcome!  I'm also new around the forums, and had the same 'breath of fresh air' reaction that you did to the site.  Best of luck with your goals!!

Level 1 Humanoid Rogue Bard, (Lone) Ranger 

...Not all those who Ranger are lost... 

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 2

"Experiment is the mother of knowledge." ~Madeline L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time