Forums are back in action! ×

where to start post-operation?

Hey i just an operation two weeks ago in my abdominal region, and when I asked my doctor about when i can get back into my lifting, she said just whenever you feel your body is ready....however! on my instructions it says not to lift anything heavy for four weeks :( Do i start just lifting really light weights, then get heavier progressively? Anyone else had this problem? I dont want to do any damage but not doing exercise makes me feel ugh !

As someone who had major (open heart) surgery early in the year, the best advice I can give you is to go slow. I definitely know how you feel about not doing any exercise, but if you do too much too soon you can set yourself back more than if you just didn't do anything at all.

This is going to sound somewhat contradictory, but the best thing to do is to use weight machines. Say what you will about them, but they are fantastic for building/maintaining muscle after an injury/surgery. For the 2-3 months I was in cardiac rehab, my therapist had me use only weight machines except for bicep curls, because I had lost so much muscle mass from not doing anything for nearly a month.

Basically, use weight machines at a lighter weight until your restrictions are lifted, then ease back into free weights.

Just take it slowly. Maybe do a modified version of whatever workout you choose at first, such as bodyweight moves rather than weighted. Also, walking, walking, walking. Sometimes, that's all you can do, and it'll let you have some activity while you're recovering and working your way back up. Definitely listen to your body, too and stop immediately if you feel even the slightest anything. Also, keep in mind that you may feel just fine, but that doesn't mean that your body is completely healed. I had abdominal surgery 3 1/2 months ago, and I'm still nowhere near able to do my normal workouts without messing myself up royally, and I feel perfectly fine. It's getting better, though, and I look forward to the day I can do deadlifts again without damaging myself. 

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano