Forums are back in action! ×

Ok, so I started this in the 6 week challenge spot but I don't know if that's the right place for me. After reading about it I don't think I want to do the challenge but I like the format of the tasks and goals so I will post here instead.

Hello all,

Not only is this my first challenge on Nerd Fitness it is also my first forum. Be gentle.....

About me: I am 44 years old and a mother of 3 grown children. About 7 years ago my mother was in a car accident and as a result her health quickly deteriorated until she passed away in May of this year. The doctors all spoke of how her obesity was the main cause of many of her issues and it really got me thinking about the state of my own health. I was well on the same path as my mother and I absolutely did not want my kids to go through any of this with their mom. I immediately set on a path to lose weight and did quite well for about a year. I lost 55 pounds and was working out 3 times a week. I began hiking and eating better. It was great and I felt awesome. Then I started having problems with my gall bladder and everything kind of went haywire from there. I got off track and have gained about 20 of those pounds back. I never reached my goal and now I have an additional challenge to finally get there. I am ready though so here we go!

My daughter told me about Paleo, she has been on the program since December and has had great results. When she graduated college and moved home for a bit we did the diet part together for the most part. Now I want to get going with the rest of the program and I know it's all up to me to follow through and take advantage of all Paleo and Nerd Fitness has to offer.

Main Quest: My Goal/Quest is to be a healthier slimmer version of myself today. I have a great support team and attitude. There are of course many challenges to come but I'm not afraid of them. I love to learn every day and I am looking forward to not only learning about nutrition and exercise but about my fellow nerds. I want to be around for my children, grandchildren (when they come), and the love of my life for a long time. More importantly than just being around is the desire for that to be a quality life. I want to "do" things with them. I want to explore the beautiful Black Hills with my loved ones and even on my own. I want to join a bike club and swim across a lake. I just want to live and not just exist.

Challenge Tasks:  I would love to hike the Michelson trail from beginning to end via bike and walking. By that I mean I would like to hike it once, and then bike it once. I'm not quite ready for the bike yet.

Task 1:  Reduce processed sugar intake by 90%. I have certainly done this before so I don't feel it is an extremely daunting task. I will allow myself one "desert snack" every other week.

Task 2:  Join the local community center/recreational center. I was a member of a gym for a couple of years but recently moved and now am gymless. I am going to join the rec center in my new community with my boyfriend today actually. No more excuses for not having a place to work out.

Task 3: I will begin the exercise regimen Steve and Nerd Fitness at home and do this every other day to begin with and increase the amount of reps as I am able.

Possible Obstacles: I have many challenges as I'm sure everyone does. They are not excuses just opportunities to improve my time management and agility skills.

Opportunity 1: I have begun my goal to achieve a bachelor's degree in Business Management. My courses are all online so I work on my own schedule for the most part. It is imperative that my work is completed every week so I can get the grade I need.

Opportunity 2: I work full time. It is a set schedule - Monday thru Friday 8-5 - so that does help with scheduling. I have begun walking when ever possible at work. I think I will add a couple of rounds up and down the stairs when the weather is too bad for walking.

Opportunity 3: Time, time is a big one. The only way I am going to be able to get everything done I have to is to have a tight schedule made and follow it! I am helping my boyfriend start up a business as well and I will need to squeeze some personal space for myself in order to stay sane.

Well I'm here to stay and I look forward to everything that is coming. I'm going to log off now and go join the req center. I will check in with you all later

Annie

Hey Annie - welcome! 

The structure on all this seems really great - let us know how it all works for you. It's also great that you seem to have a really good support system around you. 

Incidentally, I did a Bsc. in Business and Management a few years ago (though it was at a UK university so may not be the same as your online course). But if you ever have any questions on things let me know as I may be able to help all the same :)

Very best.