Forums are back in action! ×

A speedy mile at last!

It has been a summer of good trail runs, but over rough terrain and struggling with some persistant Achilles and hamstring tendonitis, there has not been a lot of speed - lots of 8-10 minute miles posted. 

This morning, determined to deny the stupid ideas that getting an AARP card in mail can put in one's head (yes I'll turn 50 in September, SO WHAT??!!) I switched over to pavement and finally smashed those 8 minute miles with a 7.11!  YES!!!

M2M

- Do something everyday!

First challenge: Avoiding the Demons of Autumn

Well done - I wonder how many other nearly 50 year olds are still getting faster?!

The funny thing was, if I had been 50 by last Saturday, I would have won the age group with my new and improved PR, as it was, I was 6th... Oh we'll, I have plans to improve my time next year and I will claim that "gold" medal!

M2M

- Do something everyday!

The funny thing was, if I had been 50 by last Saturday, I would have won the age group with my new and improved PR, as it was, I was 6th... Oh we'll, I have plans to improve my time next year and I will claim that "gold" medal!

That's so funny - I bet you never thought you'd be *wanting* to be 50!

Half-Elf Bard, Level 6 Ranger. (Or possibly a Druid?)

We're not aiming for perfection, just progress.

Battle log: Sulinar's challenging 2017

It has been a summer of good trail runs, but over rough terrain and struggling with some persistant Achilles and hamstring tendonitis, there has not been a lot of speed - lots of 8-10 minute miles posted. 

This morning, determined to deny the stupid ideas that getting an AARP card in mail can put in one's head (yes I'll turn 50 in September, SO WHAT??!!) I switched over to pavement and finally smashed those 8 minute miles with a 7.11!  YES!!!

shh you, I was using my age as an excuse :(

well done.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

That's so funny - I bet you never thought you'd be *wanting* to be 50!

It is silly - last year I was running 5k's and placing in my age group every race, so while I'm not particularly fast, I was still getting the "perks". This year I decided to push harder, thus the change to 10k's, but I did it knowing I'd be giving up any chance of an age group award. So I fully expected to be out of the top 3, and when I finished I was so pleased at having exceeded my time goal for the race. But then, when the age group awards were announced along with the first place 50-59 yo time, I realized that just 16 days separated me from a first place finish... it was hard not to be a little disappointed. Had to remind myself, "Yes, you are still 49 and your time was not better than the other 40-49 year olds so live in the present and celebrate what you did accomplish".  (Of course, this is the rational brain. My emotional brain wanted to WIN!)

@ Maledictus - Nope, age is not an excuse! 

M2M

- Do something everyday!