Forums are back in action! ×

It's on like Donkey Kong.

So here I am and here's my story... I am 27, I work full-time and I recently returned to college to finish my Bachelor's. I completed my Associate's in 2006 and transferred to a big university. There, I met people I thought were my best friends, but really were just destructive. I've always struggled with depression and severe self-hatred and it all came to a head when I attempted suicide in 2007. I spent some time in a couple of facilities and eventually moved back home. Since then, I have learned much about myself including one of the biggest reasons I've hated myself for pretty much my entire life: my weight.

I was 10 lbs at birth (sorry, mom) and was always the fat kid from first grade through graduation. On my father's side, everyone is over 300 lbs. My grandmother on that side has been bedridden for years due to her weight. My cousin was over 300 lbs by the time he was 13. Honestly, I'm the skinny one. On my mom's side, they are all of a normal weight, but hypertension, heart disease and diabetes run strongly. Actually, those same things + cancer run on my father's side, too. 

Talk about winning the genetic jackpot.

I got tired of being fat back in the fall of 2008; with a gym membership I used daily and a steady stream of Lean Cuisines and Crystal Light packets (I know, I know), I lost 40 lbs and three dress sizes. I felt awesome. I felt somewhat pretty for the first time in my life. I was proud.

In the summer 2009, I met my current boyfriend. He introduced me to this thing called "fast food" and "going out to eat." As someone who grew up poor, these were new and magical things to me. I loved it. He also introduced me to a strange world...a World of Warcraft. By the summer of 2010, I was lvl 80 on my priest, talking down bosses and healing like gangbusters...and I gained all the weight back...plus another 25 lbs.

Now here we are in 2013. At 27, I am the heaviest I have ever been (I have at least 100 lbs to lose), I have pre-hypertensive levels and PCOS. My grandfather died of renal failure related to diabetes in 2010. My boyfriend's grandmother has a stroke before dying of a heart attack; she also had diabetes. My father has had two strokes and developed diabetes in the last few years. I don't want to be rattled off in this list by the time I'm 30. In fact, I refuse to.

I discovered the paleo lifestyle a few months ago. It sounded...yummy. Like something I could do. I'm a Texan. I love meat. I'm not a big sugar lover and I have the willpower to cut out bread and cheese (OHGODILOVETHEMSO). So...I'm doing it.

I started eating paleo three weeks ago. I'm already less puffy. Even my mom (my hardest critic) has noticed that I am slimming down slightly already. Now, I'm ready to do more. I read the newest blog, the 30 day hard hat challenge, and I'm in it to win it. My pitfall is lethargy and laziness. After working 8-5, running errands, coming home to schoolwork, preparing dinner, eating, showering...I've always reasoned I simply don't have time to exercise.

BUMP.

THAT.

I'm starting by playing Just Dance for 15 minutes a day for these 30 days. I have always love dancing, I am a music addict and it's something fun I can do in my living room. No more excuses. I no longer buy bread, cheese, pasta, canned or boxed foods, frozen foods or any other junk. I have $20k in student loan debt I am paying off+my rent, bills, etc, so I rearranged my finances, saved money by not buying garbage for food and can afford all the yummy clean meat, fruits and veggies I need to be eating. Again, NO EXCUSES.

I'm done hating myself because of my weight. I am a kickass person and I deserve better than how I've treated myself. I'm not trying to be skinny (even when thinner, I am still a curvy woman). I'm not trying to look like an airbrushed magazine. I just want to be healthy and happy and get the chance to see what no one else in my family has seen: what the world looks like at 80 years old.

My goal is to be 2 dress sizes smaller by the beginning of next summer, which means I am aiming to lose 50 lbs in 9 months. I got this. No more excuses.

Hi Ambellina, it's great to have you onboard with NF and absolutely awesome that you're already on your way :)

We've got a 6 week fitness challenge coming up in a couple of weeks, I always find that it's a good length of time to see a nice amount of improvement and with all the fun mini-challenges it's kept exciting :) And it would be a great way to build on the success of your 30 day Hard Hat challenge!

You're already doing really well with it, so I'm sure you're going to be super successful! If you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask! :D

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4