Forums are back in action! ×

need help with goal creation?

I hope everyone's starting to think about what they want to accomplish in the next 6 week challenge that starts Monday, July 18th!

So. Are you having troubles with coming up with good goals?

Or already have an idea of what you want to do but not sure if it would make a good goal/how to make it a goal?

Or just want feedback on what you've come up with so far?

Post what you've come up with so far and we'll give feedback/ideas :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

All I know is I keep changing my mind, which is sort of a perpetual problem with me in all aspects of life. I could honest to god make one of my goals, "Keep these goals without changing your mind."

So in answer to this I'm trying to keep it way simpler than I normally would when issuing challenges to myself:

FITNESS:

1 set of 10 REAL push ups

DIET:

Slow carb (to start, working towards paleo)

LIFE:

Reduce "stuff" by at least half (to be measured by "type of stuff": half of jewelry, half of shoes, half of clothes, half of yarn, half of books, etc.)

OVERALL:

Obtain ability to wear white jeans without passing out.

Seriously, when I first came up with challenge ideas I had four or five goals in each category. It was a mess. These seem attainable and not overwhelming. I might actually do all of these things! That would be awesome.

Does anybody have experience ramping up the weights again after a loooong layoff? If so, how long did it take you to exhaust your easy (ha!) gains? I am trying to pin down poundage goals that are challenging but realistic.

Right now I'm seeing very fast gains -- as an example, my deadlift has gone from 245x5 to 305x5 in right about six weeks. (Going for 315x5 tonight!) This kind of thing will definitely slow down, but I want to ride it out as long as I can.

My previous best is in the neighborhood of 365 for maybe a triple. That was a long time a go, in a galaxy far, far away... Well, roughly 10 years, anyway. But I'm training more specifically for strength now.

I'm tempted to go for something kinda audacious, maybe 405x5 by the end of the challenge. What do you think? Too much of a reach?

well I nee help with a fitness goal. In that, I dont know how to make one. I've never really done any sort of fitness program before. So I dont know how much weight I can lift for example. So its impossible to know what goal i can do without know my current capabilities. I'm not above getting a gym membership. What does everyone recommend?

Race: Human

Class: Assassin

well I nee help with a fitness goal. In that, I dont know how to make one. I've never really done any sort of fitness program before. So I dont know how much weight I can lift for example. So its impossible to know what goal i can do without know my current capabilities. I'm not above getting a gym membership. What does everyone recommend?

You can first make it goal to workout a certain number of times a week. That will get you working out regardless of your capabilities. Once you do a few workouts you will probably notice something you can't quite get the hang of or just really want to do and improve upon. Or you can make it a goal to start a program or develop your own. What's your background in fitness?

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

Vegemighty: Maybe a first goal could be to test your capabilities and just try some things?

Six weeks is enough time to make some progress in a bunch of different areas. If you consistently get in some barbell work, some bodyweight work, some running or biking or martial arts (or whatever stuff you like), by the end of the challenge I bet you'll be stronger, and have some more specific ideas about where to push yourself.

I personally love the gym, but I would go month to month at first if at all possible. You don't want a two-year contract if it turns out you're not a fan (after giving it an honest shot, of course!)