Forums are back in action! ×

A wild forum appears!

Hi, Rogue here. Let me just start by saying that this is the the second part to a long journey. I started this journey at 200 pounds and set off to hit 120. Last November I had actually reached my goal weight! Sadly though I let the temptations of bad food decisions (Even though I'm vegan because of digestive issues I still managed to eat a lot of junk food and processed crap) and the warmth of my bed get the better of me (I.E. Laziness). Now I'm back up to 138. This time, I want to get back to my goal weight but more importantly I want to keep it off for good, tone up and improve my overall flexibility, endurance and strength. I'm looking forward to starting the six week challenge when it comes around though I'm not sure which group to pick. I'm really excited to have found this forum. This might just prove to be the kick in the rear I need to stay motivated and keep moving. I love running, pilates. I've also done brazilian jiu jitsu in the past (specifically of the gracie variety) and hope to get back into it sometime soon.

glad to have you with us, Rogue! the adventurers guild is a great place to hang out until you figure out which direction you'd like your fitness journey to go. also, you can change your guild any time, so it's not like you're married to it or anything.   ;) 
there is lots of potential for great accountability here, which can be a wonderful kick in the butt when you need one. you can join an accountabilibuddies group during the 6 week challenge, and you can also look for the same kind of support in the "find your sidekick" subforum of "rebellion meet ups."
once again, welcome, and i can't wait to see how your journey unfolds! keep us posted!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

here is a great article about that very thing!
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/12/the-definitive-guide-to-parkour-for-beginners/
interestingly, i am in the exact same boat as you. i'm planning on picking parkour up for the next 6 week challenge, but i've never done anything remotely close to gymnastics. except occasionally by accident... anyway, maybe we could learn this shiz together! let me know if you'd like a parkour buddy, because i sure would like to have someone going through the same stuff as me to talk with, complain to, and celebrate victories with.   :)

level 4 elf ranger

Thanks for the link! (favorited it almost right off the bat!) It would be nice to have a partner but, admittedly I don't think I'm where I need to be in terms of upper body strength to start trying to learn it just yet. I was thinking of starting out with something like animal flow. Figured it might be good to learn controlling movement and direction before I try to throw obstacles into the mix. ^^

oh dang, good point about the arm strength. i figured i'd just build up strength as i went along [and avoid doing any especially dangerous movements until i was much stronger, of course]. i was thinking "no time like the present," you know, all that kind of thing. i know i'll be disappointed later if i don't at least try it now. and i can always go back a space if i need to. but, to each her own.   :) if you're not comfortable trying parkour yet, of course that's your choice.
let me know if you change your mind though! and regardless of what you decide, be sure to keep posting!
for the revolution!

level 4 elf ranger