Forums are back in action! ×

Hey, new here and in need of support

Hey everyone! I'm horrible with these things, but I am in need of support. I have none AT ALL, and I know how important it is to have someone be there for you while you are working to lose weight. I have been trying off and on to lose weight for the past 3 years now. I have NOT been successful. I am currently at my highest weight... I am ashamed to share that number... I haven't told anyone and am scared to put it out there... But, it is time for a change. I currently weigh 288 lbs. I am close to hitting 300... It MORTIFIES ME. How could I let this happen to myself??

It has been a hard road. I am battling everyday with depression from the loss of my daughters and a terribly abusive relationship. I have gained 60 lbs in 3 years. It is out of control. If there is anyone out there who could just talk to me, help me along the way.... I don't know... It sounds pathetic but I think it is what I need.

Hello hello hello! :)

Welcome to NF and good on you for deciding you want to change - that's the first step! *pats back*

Sorry to hear that you've had a bit of a rough time - it sounds like there are several issues all interlinked with this and perhaps it's an emotional thing as a result of that, but you want to address it now and that's GREAT.

Ok, so you've taken some scale readings; take some measurements too (waist, hips, upper thighs, upper arms etc.) and then write all of these down in a journal, or set up a daily battle log on here, especially for you and your weight loss journey. That'll be your roadmap and you can use it to write down your goals (a motivating thing in itself) track progress (also motivating) and make sure you're heading the right way. It'll be the small changes that add up and keep you motivated so you'll wanna keep tabs on them. Then I'd suggest getting a medical (so you know what level you can start things at) and checking out some of Steve's articles on 'levelling up life' and I'd also suggest seeing someone professional for some of the other issues if you haven't already. If you want to lose the weight it can be incredibly difficult when there are deeper things driving any emotional habits. You need to address those as well so they don't mess with your progress. You'll get tons of support on here, but I think you also deserve some support that's specifically and professionally tailored to your situation. 

Then it's gonna be about consistency and pacing. Start slow and keep it steady. Are you at all familiar with Paleo yet? Read up on it and try it for a month if you like. See how it suits you. Also think about what activities you currently do, and what you might be able to implement into a new routine for yourself (pending the medical results). Going out for walks might be a good one to start with - with some music you love, or perhaps a gentle cycle ride or session on the treadmill. Find something you can stick with, and something that you enjoy so it isn't a chore. Also think about any substitutes for 'bad habits.' What can you use for a feel good factor that also supports what you want to achieve with this? Is it watching an episode of one of your favourite shows? Listening to a song you like? Youtubing funny cats? Find something and line it up for when you need it so you don't turn to food for comfort. 

Then repeat. Focus on each day as it comes and don't think about how far you have to go. Break down your targets into shorter term goals and take baby steps. Love small progress - it's the real stuff. Then watch the scales slowly move and the inches shrink and hop back on here whenever you like so we can all stay behind you and support your progress. 

Hope some of that helps and very best :)