Forums are back in action! ×

How to take a sh*t in the woods

During my time in Asia, my worst fear was the squat toilet. I tried attempting a poop squat before I left and I could not do it. So while traveling, I made sure I aligned my bowel movements with visiting tourist sites which attracted many old white people. The western toilet became my God!

Also, I noticed that the Chinese had an unusual (to us) way of potty training their kids. They'd just bring them over a storm drain and let them squat and do their thing. Thats when I realized. I have never had the need to squat, ever. My pooping has always been while sitting down and kindergarten we had to sit indian style, and little league soccer couch always told us to take a knee. In my 20 years of walking around, I've never had the opportunity to squat. As such, my mobility has suffered.

So after returning to America, I tried again and focused on what I was doing. Squatting down, my heels came off the ground. Thats some sort of flexibility issue. If I tried to keep them down, I'd feel like I was falling backwards. The only way I can do squat, is if I balance myself by holding onto something, or by shifting my weight forward by holding a broom or something. I can't imagine any weighted shoulder squats.

So how does one progress to doing full, proper, natural squats? Are there any stretches one can do to loosen up the ankles and hips? How long can you squat for? Long enough to take a crap? Anyone with similar issues like me?

Race: Human

Class: Assassin

I got some really good advice the other day on this - watch a toddler squat to pick up a toy - they have perfect form.

I've been working on my form a lot lately. Keep your toes pointed outward slightly. Don't crane your neck or sway your lower back. My form improved ten-fold when I started doing overhead squats, which is basically a squat with your hands straight up in the air. It's harder technically, but I've found it really keeps my spine aligned and my eyes forward. Don't worry too, too much about that whole "knees going past your toes" thing, because I'm pretty sure (although I could be wrong) that this is only a guideline to keep you from plunging your knees way out and making your calves do all the work. If your knees are coming to the very tips of your toes or slightly past, I'm pretty sure that's okay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - I've just watched a shite-ton of squat videos all week and most of these guys are letting that slide a tiny bit.

I read once that human beings were built to walk, squat, and lie down, and that's it. None of this sitting crap. When we wanted to rest, we squatted. When we wanted to sleep, we went horizontal. So when things get tough I remind my body that this is what it was made for.

I have opposite problem. I can do just about anything with my knees bent (I held

last week, and I'd never heard of them two days before that), but I find it painful to sit or lie with my legs straight out in front of me. Or do anything that involves keeping my legs straight. It really hurts the back of my knees, and I've actually gained stretch-marks there, just from trying to sit like that.

Going by what's recommended for people new to the Garland pose, you could try practising perfect-form squats holding onto something for balance, and then move on to a less-assisted form. A quick google for "building ankle flexibility" found this (which I might try; my ankles lack flexibility when my legs are straight), and "building hip flexibility" found this.

How are you at lunges?

Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD website might be good for you to check out. His very first exercise targets the exact issue you're discussing:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/first-of-many-beat-downs.html

If you can't balance in the full squat comfortably, it really helps to hold onto something. You'll still increase your flexibility in that area, but there will be less pressure on your knees and hips.

Don't worry too, too much about that whole "knees going past your toes" thing, because I'm pretty sure (although I could be wrong) that this is only a guideline to keep you from plunging your knees way out and making your calves do all the work.

Putting your knees out of alignment (not keeping them over your toes) will cause extreme shearing force on your tendons. If you're knees are healthy and you're young, then you might get away with this for awhile. Eventually that popping and tearing you feel will be your tendons. And that screaming sound will be coming from your mouth :)

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

knees can go over your toes. :)

just look at rippetoe's squat photos:

Posted Image

A few resources I found with a quick search (I know ive found better before, but I dont have time to find them right now :) )

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/debunking_exercise_myths_part_i

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD website might be good for you to check out. His very first exercise targets the exact issue you're discussing:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/08/first-of-many-beat-downs.html

If you can't balance in the full squat comfortably, it really helps to hold onto something. You'll still increase your flexibility in that area, but there will be less pressure on your knees and hips.

I swear by mobilitywod, that very first exercise, I do twice a day outside of my regular workouts, and my squats have definitely improved in ease and just getting below parallel, as well as balancing on my board (surfing). Still haven't done the full 10 minutes, but I'm gettin there

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee