Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone,

I stumbled across this site about a month ago and started lurking, I'm really impressed with the content and community so I only procrastinated a month before posting.

A little about me: I just turned 36, former Army Medic, current EMT and most importantly a recovering alcoholic.  I've been struggling with it since I returned from my last deployment in 2005.  I'm currently in a pretty intensive outpatient treatment program that takes up a substantial amount of my time during the day, but includes some yoga a few times a week.

I was a competitive Martial Artist throughout my youth and into my 20's when I joined the Army.  Fitness for me was a way of life for as long as I can remember.  During the last 8 years, I basically traded off that lifestyle for one that involves sitting in front of my computer playing games, moderating a band forum, daily blackout drinking and smoking a pack a day.

Now that I'm sober, I have no will to continue that lifestyle.  I'm sitting down today and doing some goalsetting and writing out a workout schedule.  I'd love to participate in some of the challenges that you guys and gals do, but I'm not sure I'm up to it quite yet.  Plus I have no idea where to even start!  (I did a few things on my profile I read on another thread about making a character)

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

Level 2 Assassin

STR-2         CON-2

DEX-2        WIS-2.75 

STA-1.5       CHA-2

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."

Hey Caduceus - welcome :)

Happy Birthday belated if you just turned 36!

It sounds like you and fitness are by no means strangers (competitive martial arts?? phwoar! cool!) and it also sounds like you've done something very worthwhile with your life so far. Sorry to hear that things have may have been a little rough though recently - sometimes life kinda goes like this: \/\/\/\/\ But well done you for finding a dry path forwards! Time for a new chapter! 

So...you've got your goals and you're putting together a workout schedule. Start slow and build up gradually. Have you checked out Steve's Beginners Body Weight Workout? That might be a really good one to start with, and also something you can do alongside your Yoga. It's this one here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And if that's too easy for you, he links in another more difficult one on that post. 

Another thing you could try on the scaling up front is Power Yoga, and tailor it to be a gradual move from the regular Yoga you do at the moment. Alternatively, you could create a workout from your current Yoga, but add in weights to some of the moves - that might be quite a neat thing to play around with and it'll give you the resistance work that takes it up a notch. You could gradually increase the weights as your strength increases too.

As far as the challenges - there seems to be something for everyone round here and at all abilities. If you want something gentle, there's a bunch of people 'walking to Mordor' (light treadmill) on one of the forums, and there are also people who are completely new to fitness and just doing some of the beginners workouts until they build up the strength to take on some of the tougher challenges. There's tougher ones, of course, but just see what you're up to. Try one without telling anyone if you like, and then if it's too much it can go on next month's goal list. Or the month after that. Then there are the 'daily battle logs', where you can pop in your goals, workouts and progress, and you'll probably find you get a lot of support there too from other battle loggers.  

Then there's the Paleo side of things - not sure whether that's something you do / would like to do, but Steve covers it pretty well here if you're interested: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

No need at all to feel overwhelmed though. A good next step is a few of the basic workouts to see how they fare for you, then log them on a battle log. Then it's onwards and upwards from there :)

Let us know how you get on.

Very best

Welcome to the neighborhood! So proud of you for working to turn your life around. This is an incredible community and I think you will find that you've come to the right place. Godspeed as you level up. I look forward to hearing your updates and seeing you on a challenge soon! :)

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Hey Caduceus - welcome :)

Happy Birthday belated if you just turned 36!

It sounds like you and fitness are by no means strangers (competitive martial arts?? phwoar! cool!) and it also sounds like you've done something very worthwhile with your life so far. Sorry to hear that things have may have been a little rough though recently - sometimes life kinda goes like this: \/\/\/\/\ But well done you for finding a dry path forwards! Time for a new chapter! 

So...you've got your goals and you're putting together a workout schedule. Start slow and build up gradually. Have you checked out Steve's Beginners Body Weight Workout? That might be a really good one to start with, and also something you can do alongside your Yoga. It's this one here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And if that's too easy for you, he links in another more difficult one on that post. 

Another thing you could try on the scaling up front is Power Yoga, and tailor it to be a gradual move from the regular Yoga you do at the moment. Alternatively, you could create a workout from your current Yoga, but add in weights to some of the moves - that might be quite a neat thing to play around with and it'll give you the resistance work that takes it up a notch. You could gradually increase the weights as your strength increases too.

As far as the challenges - there seems to be something for everyone round here and at all abilities. If you want something gentle, there's a bunch of people 'walking to Mordor' (light treadmill) on one of the forums, and there are also people who are completely new to fitness and just doing some of the beginners workouts until they build up the strength to take on some of the tougher challenges. There's tougher ones, of course, but just see what you're up to. Try one without telling anyone if you like, and then if it's too much it can go on next month's goal list. Or the month after that. Then there are the 'daily battle logs', where you can pop in your goals, workouts and progress, and you'll probably find you get a lot of support there too from other battle loggers.  

Then there's the Paleo side of things - not sure whether that's something you do / would like to do, but Steve covers it pretty well here if you're interested: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

No need at all to feel overwhelmed though. A good next step is a few of the basic workouts to see how they fare for you, then log them on a battle log. Then it's onwards and upwards from there :)

Let us know how you get on.

Very best

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

I'm no stranger to fitness, but having to start over is a new experience.  I'm actually excited to get started.

I'm planning on doing mostly running, yoga and bodyweight workouts to start off, including plyometrics and resistance bands.  I've done some powerlifting in the Army and the results were fantastic, but I'm going to try to get some basic fitness before I go back to anything like that.  I'm going to start a power yoga class this weekend.

One thing I've always been good about is my diet.  I've eaten Paleo for years and can't imagine eating any other way.

I'll check out the other parts of the board you suggested!

Welcome to the neighborhood! So proud of you for working to turn your life around. This is an incredible community and I think you will find that you've come to the right place. Godspeed as you level up. I look forward to hearing your updates and seeing you on a challenge soon! :)

Thanks!  It seems like an amazing community.  I can't wait to get to know everyone!

Level 2 Assassin

STR-2         CON-2

DEX-2        WIS-2.75 

STA-1.5       CHA-2

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."