Forums are back in action! ×

Lurker Lookin' In

'Allo, 'allo!

I have been a blog and article reader here for about two and a half years. NF is where I found the Paleo diet when I was struggling with GF not being the answer for both food allergies and weight loss. I pulled off about 30#s in 2012! Yahoo! That weight-loss did more for my riding (horse-back) than all the saddle time I had spent previously.

While I had previously hated cooking, converting regular recipes to Paleo became quite the adventure in my kitchen. I've had a lot of fun, and for some reason, friends keep volunteering for food-tasting. It's kinda crazy! Cooking went from being a chore, and eating something that you do to stay alive (even though I LOVE food), to one of the ways I was able to handle stress last year juggling so much.

I am a small business owner, massage for horses, people and dogs; and a full-time Biology student with two years left in my undergrad. Life is a little chaotic at times (read, every day). My goal after I get done with my Bachelors in Bio is medical school. I should be done somewhere between 46-50, depending on the route I end up going. Oh, I forgot to mention, I am a nontraditional student, I went back to college at 34 when I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Growing up is still optional....

I am not a gamer. This may be site blasphemy, but I do not understand the point of video games, and the figures running around the screen make me a bit nauseous. Lol I am a pretty intense reader of sci-fi, fantasy and suspenseful murder mysteries. Love movies and Doctor Who. I am not much of a tv watcher unless its Doctor Who on NetFlix, I don't see the point, but a good book will suck me under faster than someone can read the author's name to me. A previously mentioned, I ride when I can, which isn't often in my schedule, but it's wonderful when I manage it. :)

Right now, being back in classes, I have been stress-eating like crazy and my will-power when it comes to avoiding comfort foods (potato chips) has pretty much vanished. I last saw it heading off on another adventure in someone else's head. I took body measurements about six weeks ago and rechecked them over the weekend. I haven't lost a millimeter... I have managed to gain a quarter of an inch in one thigh, which I suspected given my pants seemed more snug.

I want to try and get some exercise in, I just don't know how to fit it in. I don't have an hour here and there. I have five minutes or ten while I am taking breaks between subjects or in the middle of a subject that is stressing my brain cells ability to fire in complete synaptic form and they start stuttering, or just hide under the bed. If I get any less sleep, I am going to end up sick, so getting up earlier isn't in the cards.

I live out in the country on twenty acres and going for walks around the property has been the plan, with some core work and jumping on the trampoline. What I don't know is if doing five minutes here and there is worth it. It seems like everything I read is twenty minutes minimum at a time or it's a waste of time, and I will be honest, the thought of trying to budget 20-30 minutes working out and take that long of a break in my homework and study schedule is anxiety-inducing.

I have a form of high functioning autism called Nonverbal Learning Disorder, it's on par with Asperger's Syndrome. While I don't test for ADD, I have a lot of the traits; and there are a few other things going on in my head. When I am active and eat well, it's a lot easier to move through my day. When I don't get enough exercise or I eat poorly, I am usually pretty jittery, have insomnia, anxiety issues and brain fog. Not terribly helpful on the adventure of life! But when I can get my autistic obsessive tendencies to work for me, it's pretty awesome. Those are how I manage to maintain my GPA and run a business on top of it all.

I know there are other crazy-busy people on here and I am hopeful that y'all will have some ideas on how to try and fit more stuff in on limited time.

Welcome! I'm under the impression that five minutes of exercise is better than no exercise :) Yesterday I only did cardio for like 10 minutes (quick warmup then ran around my inclined cul-de-sac circle 10 times). It got my heart rate up, and the endorphins going. If you only have a couple minutes try jumping jacks, or Fitness Blenders 5 minute HIIT workout (on youtube). You sound very busy, props to you for wanting to fit in fitness as well!

You won't regret doing that workout, but you may regret not doing it. So get your butt in gear and get to it!

Starting Weight: 190 lbs Current Weight: 175 lbs   Goal Weight: 145 lbs

Krunchy's Battle Log           Challenge 1