Forums are back in action! ×

Hi.

I'm a 19-year old college student from New York.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life, and I've hit a bit of a low point now. I've heard that exercise is good for mental health, so I thought I'd give this a try.

I really have no idea what I'm doing. exercise was never something I did willingly, and sports failed to ingratiate themselves to me at a young age.

My school has what is, as far as I can tell, a well-maintained gym (though it kinda terrifies me to go in there), but the menu available in the cafeteria is pretty limited.

I'm not particularly interested in getting stronger or faster (though I am pretty slow and weak), I just want to sleep at night.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. I've tried making smaller changes before, but I usually settle back down into my rut within a week or two.

Does anybody have any ideas where I can start?

Hey Spycrab! Welcome! I, too, struggle with depression and also live with a relative struggling with it. I understand about coming back to your rut. If possible try to break down baby steps to the smallest possible step that will still have impact. I bounced around for a while until I found, what I think, works. I latched onto the Angry Birds workout as it is super flexible from the get go. I didn't even do the squats for a bit until I perfected my form. On the other 2 days of the work week I do a combination if jogging walking. I started that by just walking and gradually add running time each week. The biggest breakthrough for me was moving my workouts to the morning. I get a morning boost and have it out of the way before life has a chance to interfere.

Best of luck on building your habits and keeping the depression at bay. Give a yell if u need a boost!

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Welcome!

I've also been struggling with depression and anxiety off and on for the past several years and I've found that exercising really does help. The problem I've had is remembering how much better I feel after a workout.  I've found that I feel best if I go to the gym when I'm feeling the most restless (for me that's been in the evening).  Just take baby steps- even if it's just getting up and walking around your house/apartment.  And remember we're all rooting for you!

Music is the strongest form of magic- Marilyn Manson