Forums are back in action! ×

Depressed leading the depressed

Hiya,

Tonight I really need a lift. My MIL lives with hubby and me. She has been struggling with depression for decades but has recently swung into a pretty deep valley. This has been going on for a few months now. In preparation for a pregnancy I had to go off of my own anti-depressants and now struggle to keep myself sane while trying to support her. There are things in place to take care of her but it is all a waiting game. Wait for this med to kick in, this doctor to call back, this appointment on the horizon...Not to mention Hubby is on a different shift than I am so we only really get time together on the weekends.

I revel in my morning workouts. I get an ultimate sense of peace from doing a body weight workout or taking a jog. But, by the end of the day-I'm wiped out. I welcome any uplifting statements or sharing of similar situations. 

~Thanks~

:kiwi-fruit:

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Hugs to you!

I can't say I've been in this exact situation, but I've known some pretty dark times. It sounds like all the worries are draining you, but if you can try to let go of the things you can't control. It's hard to do, but it helps. I was in hospital earlier this year with a stomach illness, and when they told me it was caused by stress I felt some tight knot in my mind fall loose - I couldn't take all the worries on myself all the time, I had to let go and trust that things would be OK. After that I gave up caffeine which helped too; I didn't get so many energy crashes and bad moods.

It sounds like your workouts are your "me time" which is the most important time. Even if you're too tired to do anything I'd still recommend keeping that time slot, even if you just put on your workout gear and lie on the floor. That way you can still get the head space to process what's going on and a little alone time to chill out in :)

Thanks for the hugs! I needed them in a big way. I have been pretty absent from the boards for a few days as the issues at home finally hit a breaking point. MIL was admitted to local mental health unit and will finally get the help she needs. Getting a much needed reprieve has taken a load off my, and my hubby's, shoulders. 

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Hi, my real name is Lee and I empathize! As a wounded warrior recovering from a TBI, the "waiting game" is all too familiar. And I have a similar situation with FIL (he has Asperger's - makes him very not-easy-to-get-along-with). He doesn't live with us, but we're all living on the same block in his mom's apartment complex (yeah, grandma plays Monopoly IRL!). My wife works, and I'm now taking a tax prep class with H&R Block, so we see each other right before bed and on weekends (if I don't have too much homework).

I'm glad to hear your MIL is getting the help she needs! I wasn't making any progress until I started getting professional counseling.

Keep us in the loop (as much as you are comfortable with), we'll keep the support coming!

And congrats on the baby!

And you have a really well-planned challenge!

Today Hubby and I are meeting with psychiatrist, social worker and nurse for MIL to discuss discharge plan. She sounded better last night on the phone. The thought is to discharge her Friday. I hope it goes smoothly and we can integrate her back in the house successfully.

Current Challenge