Forums are back in action! ×

Ripped hands

A deterrent to improving my pull-ups has been the big-ass holes I keep creating in my palms. And before someone makes an xkcd reference, here you go: http://xkcd.com/37/. I'm looking for some advice on what to do about this, since I want to get better at pull-ups, my pain threshold for my hands is pretty low apparently, and I don't think it's particularly safe or healthy to be constantly ripping through several layers of skin in the same place and then touching a grimy pull-up bar (I have only love for my gym, but that bar is not clean).

Today we did "Helen" at my Crossfit box, which involves three sets of 12 pull-ups. I tried used my new lifting gloves, but they made it so much harder for me to get a good grip on the bar that for the last round I ditched them, and my pull-ups were much better - but my hands started bleeding again. I could try looking for a thinner pair of gloves to be the middle ground between just taping my hands (which never stays on) and using my thicker lifting gloves, but before I go spend more money on those, I was wondering if any of you fine folks had suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Gloves made them worse for me - I'd think they were helping and then when I'd take them off I'd see they actually made them worse since they can cause your grip to be less than ideal.

I switched to chalk (specifically the metolius eco-ball to avoid the mess and gyms where they don't allow chalk).

http://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Super-Chalk-Eco-Ball/dp/B002LBFZLK

You are going to have to let that skin heal, otherwise, it will keep ripping open. Once I switched to the eco-ball, my pads would peel every week or so (but no ripping!).

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

gloves will make it worse.

i'm assuming you're already using chalk since you crossfit.

hands are actually my weakest link for sure.

the best way to deal with rips is to avoid them. shave off your callouses. and if you feel a blister starting, try to use a different part of your hand for the movement. (i've done entire workouts with the tips of my fingers). while its nice to finish in first out of everyone, its not worth it to me to have a huge rip. PLUS, i figure when youre doing stuff like pullups with the tips of your fingers, you're actually doing yourself good. if you were in a competition, id say suck it up through the pain :)

so.

my best suggestion is tape.

this video is an awesome way to make tape things for pullups:

http://vimeo.com/4895278

they last a good 3-4 workouts, and are worth making.

if i dont have time for those i just cover my hands and hope it works.

that being said, the more your hands get used to it, the thicker your skin will get. if you continue to do crossfit, and want to perform, you will not be able to have "girly" hands. im sorry, it just doesnt work like that. :)

when i get a rip now, if i've ripped there before, the skin under the rip is often thicker and less raw than before.

so time. but until then, tape!

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Again Faster makes leather grips, similar to those that are used by gymnasts, who know a thing or two about hand health. They offer protection, but unlike gloves are minimalist. Couple people from my box swear by them.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

yeah, i tried those the other day actually - i personally didnt like them, but some people absolutely do swear by them.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I do strict dead hang pull ups and all of the variations, working on one handed.

I haven't experienced any ripped skin, the worst is from the knurling on a bar when doing heavy cleans.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

and a blueprint to save us from what we have become.

'we work in the dark to serve the light'

aye, it is an issue with the kipping pull ups that are part of some WODS... i'm a musician, so i really do have to take care of my hands, so after the first rip, i consulted my trainer... the improving the strength of grip helps a great deal, just to be able to minimally prevent any slippage. the classic move is to do a few pullups with a smallish towel wrapped around the bar to improve your grip and forearms, and spare you the rips, but obviously this isn't permanent. i did find it was a step in the right direction.

i've tried tape, but i found it awkward, personally, lots of people i know swear by it. i use gloves, but am trying to wean myself off them since they're not allowed in competition, i'm told.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

from what i've seen of cross fitters there's an awful lot of swing in their pull ups, that'll magnify the friction and tearing so if that's the case try keeping perfect form, you'll have to do less but it'll save your hands

t'is the kipping pullup. competition crossfit WODS, if they have any pullups involved, usually have them in high numbers, and since you're going for time, banging these out becomes more of a test of anaerobic ability than a strict/dead hang pullup, which is more strength based.

i certainly don't believe they are mutually exclusive, and there are a few WODS out there that specify "strict" next to "pullup", can't hurt to develop both.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

Yup, not much else to add in here aside from what everyone has already said. Chalk and tape are your friends! Don't be shy about the chalk either. I know in my box the coach doesn't always bring it up, but if the routine gives you questions it never hurts to chalk up.

Here is a great article about climbing hand care. The same principles apply: http://www.climbnation.com/2007/12/hand-care-for-climbers.html