Forums are back in action! ×

I thought I might be the clever fox who would be the first to suggest that their initial act of courage would be posting on the forums. After reading a selection of introductions, it seems a good number of people are in the same boat, which is somewhat comforting, and suggests I'm in good company.

I'm a 40-year-old English professor whose deep love of geekery and long resisted desire to get in better shape met their perfect match in this site. My initial forays into the character generator put me pretty squarely in the troll camp with strong leanings toward working on the scout discipline, though ranger is intriguing as well. My great dream is to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in the next couple of years, and I've found that having that goal is the only thing so far in my life that has made me take exercise and health seriously.

I'm 6'2" and I've been sitting at around 260 pounds most of my life, and my deep love of hiking really brought into focus how not useful that is. After entering the world of ultralight backpacking, it was made plain that the most important piece of gear I could lighten would be myself. After a fairly strict diet early this year (undertaken with my wife to help her with some serious food issues linked to fibromyalgia), I dropped down to about 225, but have since gained back about ten pounds. I also took up more regular, serious walking and hiking, but sort of plateaued out.

This site speaks to my undying passion for the epic. All the embarrassing, dorky impulses I usually keep to myself in polite company were encouraged here, and I'm thrilled to begin the journey.

I've taken up the Rookie workout this week, and it's gone well so far. I'm looking forward to taking up the next six-week challenge and finding a guild to quest alongside.

And finally, because a friend on social media asked me how I would answer the questions, I include here my superhero alter ego, The Wayfarer. It was surprisingly useful on my last hike. When I felt weary, it was hugely encouraging not to think, "I'm a guy walking on a nature trail," but, "I am a ranger, wise and wood-crafty, on a journey through the wilds."

A man of the wild, wise in the way of forest and trail, able to survive in any environment. The Wayfarer's strength lies in his implacability: no obstacle can withstand his strength, no impediment long slow his advance. Armed with endless endurance and fortitude, as well as a growing sense of balance and agility, he moves through the wilderness like a force of nature. Clothed in long-walking boots and a green cloak of the forest, he observes keenly and lives with simple joy in his Maker and the world He has created. His motto is taken from Tennyson (for The Wayfarer loves books nearly as much as his wild home): "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

And when The Wayfarer needs an emotional kick, he listens to "Conquest of Paradise" by Vangelis, for The Wayfarer's goofy nostalgia for 80's and 90's cinematic power ballads is strong!

A Professor Errant!

Follow the journey at http://professorerrant.com/

Welcome Wayfarer!

I'm going to be really self-conscious about writing posts in your presence since you are an English professor. I've always had the theory that I don't need English because I'm never going to England. Even after living in England I still stick to my guns.

I love your alter-ego. It does help! Not a day goes by that I don't think WWBD (What would Batman do?).

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Thanks, Batwoman. Like so many things that I long resist and fight against because they seem too silly, odd, or illogical, it turns out that it was mightily uplifting.

And don't be too concerned about the writing. I am confronted with the horrors of poor communication all day, and so far as I have seen, the posters here are more articulate than many a student in my charge. Besides, once I take off the tie and jacket, I lose my English powers until the following sunrise.

A Professor Errant!

Follow the journey at http://professorerrant.com/