Forums are back in action! ×

Paleo Party - The whole hog

Where did you find a butcher willing to let you take a pig carcass that had not been skinned out? Around here they always want to skin the pigs because no one is set up to do the scalding to clean the hair off a pig. What a waste of all that lovely crackling too....

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

There's a number of smaller pasture-raised farms around here - this one is from Greenwood Farms http://www.greenwoodfarms.com/ and was de-bristled but not skinned. Which was convenient, 'cause it arrived in the passenger seat of someone's coupe. A lot of the pork in this area isn't skinned - if I get pork belly for instance, it has the skin on still. I assume it is because people here like to make cracklins, but I had never thought it was extraordinary. Greenwood does a lot of resturant supply, and this was a split that one of our people bargained off her resturant, as the butchers have been on hold these last few weeks due to heat and she couldn't find a pig anywhere else.