Forums are back in action! ×

[Georges] Accountability supports my goals.

So, that was kind of an epic fail.

Or, I guess I could take it as a  preliminary assessment of where I'm at, these days.

Anyway, I'm back to battlelogging instead of the challenge.

Maybe I just wasn't ready.  Maybe the external factors really are to blame.  I don't know, and it doesn't much matter.

Today, I'm taking stock of what I'm going to work on here.

This evening, I'll be posting a plan (or at least the outline of one).

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I took a vacation.  Not just from leveling up and NerdFitness.  I actually left the state and spent a few days out west with family.  I feel like it was a much needed break away from the here and now, and hey, since I don't do drugs, travel seems like the best way.

I didn't make a plan or work on things like I was going to in my last post, because I figured coming home would be a good starting time.

So, now I'm home.  I took one day yesterday to try to re-adjust my internal clock (it didn't work) and rest.

Today is my new Day One.

I have to go to work (for an unspecified amount of time) to do the stuff I didn't do there while on vacation.

Other obligations: grocery shopping, laundry, take the trash out.

Things I want to do today include working on a battle plan for my battle log, spending some low key time with Mr.Georges, and a run, and getting back on Duolingo after my break.

Travel report:

Colorado is still beautiful.  The Rocky Mountains are still beautiful.  The people out west are super-friendly.

Seeing family was good.   I miss feeling like I have ties to family.  It's upsetting how much smaller the extended family is becoming.

Traveling with immediate family was eye-opening.  Lots of old behavior patterns cropped up.  I didn't take a step back and recognize it until at least halfway through the trip.  I thought it was an interesting parallel to the old behavior patterns that I've been seeing here at home since The Very Bad Winter. 

Mr.Georges and I have started talking about traveling more, even though we have some pretty tight budget restraints.  We also extended invites to family to visit us here, so they can travel more easily, too.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday, and I think it was because we went away and came home.  I caught myself looking around outside and realized that I'm ready to face Autumn and I don't fear this year's winter any more.

• Like 1

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.

I had a family vacation where bad behaviors from the past cropped up - so annoying  for all involved.

But I'm glad you're looking forward to autumn! It's going to come whether we like it or not, some might as well find some good things about it, right ;:D

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Aargh.  I do worse when I'm not here.  But I haven't wanted to post, because I haven't had anything positive to write.  I haven't come up with a plan, haven't done the stuff I need to do.  But here I am, trying to find something to write that doesn't reek of failure, because I do worse when I'm not here.

Goal:  Get my weight under my control.  Pretty much every other goal I have builds on this, so I'm listing it first.

Goal:  Deal with this winter better than last winter.  Last winter was a mishmash of depression, weight gain, muscle loss, sadness, isolation, light deprivation, and cold.

That's what I'm dealing with for now.

Things to do:

- eat less (weight)

- burn more calories (weight)

- get outside (light exposure, depression)

- spend time with people (isolation, depression)

- exercise (muscle loss, depression)

- housework (depression)

Harder things to do:

- job search

- eat better

- build/reinforce relationships

- de-junque my life

- be a bit more me

Specific to today:

housework w/Mr.Georges

run, stretch, wash up

see if anyone on my facebook is going to the fair Saturday

It's 3 things.  I can do three things.

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

The "pick 3" approach can be so helpful.

And I'm glad to see you back :)

• Like 1

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

The "pick 3" approach can be so helpful.

And I'm glad to see you back :)

Thanks!

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Specific to today:

housework w/Mr.Georges

run, stretch, wash up

see if anyone on my facebook is going to the fair Saturday

It's 3 things.  I can do three things.

I did those three things.

Today:

1. Work.  I feel a bit sissy, putting work on the list.  The rest of the world seems to do it without making a big fuss.  It takes up a third of the day, and I'm really unhappy there.

2. Run.  Yesterday's run wasn't so good.  My lungs tried to shut down.  Someday, I should check in with a respiratory therapist.

3. Laundry.  Or some other part of the housework.

Edit: #2.  Work out.  My lungs are effed today, so I'll work out at home instead of running.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

I did those three things.

Today:

1. Work.  I feel a bit sissy, putting work on the list.  The rest of the world seems to do it without making a big fuss.  It takes up a third of the day, and I'm really unhappy there.

2. Run.  Yesterday's run wasn't so good.  My lungs tried to shut down.  Someday, I should check in with a respiratory therapist.

3. Laundry.  Or some other part of the housework.

Edit: #2.  Work out.  My lungs are effed today, so I'll work out at home instead of running.

2 out of 3.

My lungs are not doing well.  I did not work out. I did have trouble breathing well enough to go up the stairs and sleep.

Today:

1. Work.  Wrap up the workweek.

2. Clean the coffee maker and the bathroom sink.

3. See what my lungs do.  If I can't burn calories, I'm going to have to eat less.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Friday:

Today:

1. Work.  Wrap up the workweek.

2. Clean the coffee maker and the bathroom sink.

3. See what my lungs do.  If I can't burn calories, I'm going to have to eat less.

Made it through work, cleaned the coffeemaker.

Didn't clean the sink, and couldn't work out.

Lungs were BAD.

Saturday:

Took the day off.  Went to the Common Ground Fair.  Saw friends, recharged my emotional batteries.

Lungs started off better, but got worse through the day.

Sunday:

Wasted day. Lungs were useless.  Got nothing done, except one small load of laundry.

Today:

Woke up last night and had to use inhaler.  Starting the day a bit un-rested and frustrated.

1. Work.  My biggest work project is dependent on someone else's input, who hasn't been around.  He's supposed to be there today.

2. Walk.  Even if I can't do anything else, I can probably walk.

3. Clean that bathroom sink, so I don't feel as bad about not doing it last Friday.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Crappy lungs are solo frustrating! Hope you feel better soon.

Monday:

Today:

Woke up last night and had to use inhaler.  Starting the day a bit un-rested and frustrated.

1. Work.  My biggest work project is dependent on someone else's input, who hasn't been around.  He's supposed to be there today.

2. Walk.  Even if I can't do anything else, I can probably walk.

3. Clean that bathroom sink, so I don't feel as bad about not doing it last Friday.

1. Made it through work, although the person I needed project input from wasn't around.

2. Didn't walk.  Had a hard time getting through the day, physically.

3. Didn't.  No reason/excuse.

Tuesday:

1. Walked to post office w/Mr.Georges, so at least I got out and moved (not enough to count as exercise, really).

2. Got some dishes & laundry done.

3. Cleaned up the chainsaw for Mr.Georges (it hasn't been used in a while).

Today (Wednesday):

1. Finally cleaned the bathroom sink.  It looks better. 

2. Tidied up some recycling, compost, things that needed to be put away.

3. Still no exercise.

I'm just going to have to eat less until my lungs are doing better.  Mr.Georges is pretty sure that this happens every autumn, although I don't remember it being this bad.  I have a crap memory for things like that, though, and it's been a few years since I've been this heavy at this time of year - I know my breathing is better when I weigh less.

Tomorrow (Thursday):

1. Work.

2. Job search. (I've been periodically checking online, but it's been a few days now)

3. Put the bills on a calender and pay the ones that are due.

4. Spend a little time cleaning something.

I'm having a tough time not feeling discouraged about the things that are not in my control.

I'm focusing on the things that are in my control as well as I can.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Crappy lungs are solo frustrating! Hope you feel better soon.

They are the worst!  Thanks for the well-wishing!  I'm pretty sure it will get better in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Tomorrow (Thursday):

1. Work.

2. Job search. (I've been periodically checking online, but it's been a few days now)

3. Put the bills on a calender and pay the ones that are due.

4. Spend a little time cleaning something.

Worked and put bills on calendar and paid the ones due/overdue.

Didn't job search or clean.

Did look up some info on my lung issues, so I'll be prepared if I ever get to see a doctor.

Tomorrow (FRIDAY!!!)

1. Work.

2. Grocery again.

3. clean something.

4. make a plan for the weekend.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Weekend was a total waste, but today is Monday, and that means getting up, dusting off, trying again.

1. Work

2. Laundry

3. ?Walk, lungs permitting

It's been a full month now of struggling to breathe nearly every day.  :(

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Hoping you get to breath easily soon!

Hooray, I can breathe again (almost all the time)!

And, thanks to a new place to work out, and Respawn Day, I'm back.

(Floundering a bit as I throw together some semblance of a program for myself.)

December thus far:

1st:  Got a walkthrough/orientation on the machines and got a review of Things To Do With Dumbbells, and did them.

2nd:  Group class with Kettlebells.  Teeny-tiny kettlebell.  Remarkable how much I'd forgotten the learning curve that a group class has.

It's all good; once I remembered about the learning curve, I also remembered that it really doesn't take too long.  And being awkward in the meantime is okay,

because I'm pretty sure that being awkward is my secret superpower.

3rd:  Back for weights.  Worked on arms and torso, because yesterday's class hit the hammies & glutes pretty good.  Got instructions on how to deadlift (even though that's not really arms and torso specific at all...)  Came to reinforce what I'd learned with NF's awesome knowledge base and found out that yesterday's article was on Respawning, so that was nice and timely.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Hey, awkwardness is a great secret power - people underestimate you, thus allowing you to take over the world by surprise.

And I'm glad to see you back too :D 

• Like 1

Quick update while I actually have internet service...

My lovely ISP, which is the only provider here that is not satellite or dial up, has been particularly crap lately.  I don't know if/when that will change, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post (or more frustrating at the moment, how often I can catch up reading).

December continues:

4th:  Bodyweight workout at home.  Trying not to be discouraged about starting it over... again.

5th:  Rest day.  I thought I'd be lifting, but no gym hours today.

6th:  Didn't work out per se, but did get 20 minutes of shoveling sleet/snow in.

7th:  (Today)  Raging headache, probably won't work out unless I'm feeling better in the next two or three hours.

Plan for the week:

Monday & Wednesday - weights

Tuesday - Kettlebell

Thursday - Either bodyweight or some kind of cardio, or shoveling, if NOAA's weather forecast is right.

Friday - hopefully the weights

Saturday/Sunday - I think the weather should be good for getting outside on at least one of these.  Rest day for the other.

The fitness center should be getting more hours/more days soon, and they will be adding cardio machines, and probably more group classes.

I think that's all I've got, now off to read up on Deadlifts before the internets disappear on me again. :)

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Welcome back!

Thanks!  :)

Hey, awkwardness is a great secret power - people underestimate you, thus allowing you to take over the world by surprise.

And I'm glad to see you back too :D

:D

Good to see a familiar face as soon as I got back!

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Hope your headache clears up soon, good to see you posting :)

Thanks!  I was feeling better the very next day - I suspect dehydration was the culprit.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Plan for the week:

Monday & Wednesday - weights

Tuesday - Kettlebell

Thursday - Either bodyweight or some kind of cardio, or shoveling, if NOAA's weather forecast is right.

Friday - hopefully the weights

Saturday/Sunday - I think the weather should be good for getting outside on at least one of these.  Rest day for the other.

The fitness center should be getting more hours/more days soon, and they will be adding cardio machines, and probably more group classes.

I think that's all I've got, now off to read up on Deadlifts before the internets disappear on me again. :)

Monday(8), Tuesday(9), Wednesday(10) went as planned (fitness-wise, anyway...)

Today (11th) I decided is a rest day.  I'm thinking Thursday will become my set rest day, and Sunday will become my "if I need a second one" rest day.

The fitness center added hours on Friday evening and Saturday morning, so that's pretty good.

In other news, Mr.Georges rewired everything from the junction box to the wireless router today, and we're hopeful that our internet woes are over.  Yay!

So, Wednesday's gym visit was the first one where I didn't feel like I was guessing at how much weight to use.  Here's a breakdown of what I did, so that I can look back at it when I need to see how far I've come:

Bicep: 3 sets of 10 reps with 10 pound dumbbells

Tricep: 3 sets of 10 reps with 5 pounds

Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 10 reps with 15 pounds

Chest Fly: 3 sets of 10 reps with 8 pound dumbbells.

(I don't even know if it's really called that when doing it on the bench, but it's the same muscley bits as the chest fly machine.)

Overhead press: 3 sets of 10 with 8 pound dumbbells

Back extendy thingy (I'm pretty sure that's the technical term): 3 sets, 10, 10, 9 with 'coffin arms'

Deadlift: 3 sets of 5 at 55 pounds

Bench press: 3 sets, 8?, 6, 5 with the bar (45 pounds)

So.  That's a start.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Friday, December 12th

Picked things up and put them down.

I bumped up my dumbbell row from 15 to 25, because there aren't any dumbbells in between, unless I want to use the ones that are like tiny bars that you can put plates on.  But, there are plates with the holes in them for gripping, so I used a 25 plate instead, which is a lot less hassle.  Reps were 10, 7, and 6, so that's about right, and it was easier to focus on using back muscles instead of arm muscles.

Bench press required a spot, but was a lot less wobbly than Wednesday, so I think next time I'll be good without a spot as long as I'm doing higher reps/lower weight for form for a week or so.

Couldn't figure out how to set up for a conventional deadlift (posted about it in the lifting forum), so I guess I'm sticking with 'sumo' style for a bit.  Sumo form feels "right," so I'm reading up on programming, to get ready to start increasing weight.  Probably just going to go with Starting Strength, but I'll need to take a good look at it before I'm sure.

Today, December 13th:

NOAA tells me that it will be clear and just above freezing tomorrow, so I'm doing a rest day today and probably a walk tomorrow, unless I opt for indoor workout tomorrow.

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden

Dec 14 (Sunday)

Walked.  A little half-heartedly, but for a bit over a mile, probably 20 minutes worth.

Dec 15 (Monday/Today)

Weights  :)

I feel like form is coming together on bench press & deadlift.  Soon I will be adding weight.

I think I'll be adding dumbbells + squats, at least on Fridays.  I haven't because Kettlebell class (1x / wk) has been working my legs hard (but not the way lifting would).

• Like 1

Spoiler

-John Wooden