Forums are back in action! ×

I'm here for the T-shirt

It started with the shirt. My boyfriend has this kickass NF shirt that I’ve worn a few times and will happily admit I’ve pondered thieving in the night. So when he invited me to join him in the next 6-week challenge I thought, "Yes! Does that mean I can have a shirt of my own??â€

So here I am, lured in by a sweet T-shirt and ready to kick my own butt into gear both physically and in other areas of my life.

I would not consider myself out of shape, but I've never been consistent with a fitness regimen. I played sports in high school (soccer, basketball, track) and I've danced all my life (quite poorly, don't get excited). While these were all fun while they lasted, they never did last long. I'd love to find a workout/activity that I really enjoy. I think that would inspire me to stick with it and get fit to the point I want to be.

I'm excited to be here and look forward to 'meeting' all of you and seeing your progress!

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires.

Khalil Gibran

Welcome aboard shuggs!,judging from what you said, you are just an average girl in terms of fitness, so, begin slowly and consistently,and you will improve.

How about making that smexy t-shirt your prize for completing your 6 week challenge?

Jesuschrist is the most wonderful and complex person as of date,anyone can learn from him- paraphrased from The Master of Emotion

www.cultivatinglashinibana.wordpress.com A log about my weekly japanese learning via Kanji study, and reading manga in japanese of course. Updated every Sunday.

Current Challenge:http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4867-Staff-Purge

By the way Kain, how does the NF shirt fare in cold weather? is it warm?

Jesuschrist is the most wonderful and complex person as of date,anyone can learn from him- paraphrased from The Master of Emotion

www.cultivatinglashinibana.wordpress.com A log about my weekly japanese learning via Kanji study, and reading manga in japanese of course. Updated every Sunday.

Current Challenge:http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4867-Staff-Purge

thanks for the welcome! i think making the shirt my prize is a perfect idea, definitely gives me something to work for. aside from general health and well-being and such.

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires.

Khalil Gibran

I enjoy classes and organized sports. Not even organized, but engaging activities work better for me, like biking or swimming instead of running on a treadmill or lifting weights while I make faces at myself in the mirror. I definitely have a problem finding motivation to work out on my own, so group activities work well for me. I like having a workout buddy or be in a group because it pushes me harder than I would ever push myself. However, yoga and pilates and the evil-painful-but-oh-so-good mashup of yogalates are things I can and often do happily on my own. From dance, I know yoga routines and do those quite often. I have fitness ADD and need to constantly mix things up - I definitely used to look forward to rehearsals, but only as long as I stayed interested, which typically was never more than a year.

I am interested in getting into strength training because I know it would help me tremendously - I'm pretty damn weak - any recommendations for how to make a routine and stick to it? I am the type to get bored at the gym, so I'm not sure how spending hours in a weight room would work for me.

Khalil Gibran

I enjoy classes and organized sports. Not even organized, but engaging activities work better for me, like biking or swimming instead of running on a treadmill or lifting weights while I make faces at myself in the mirror. I definitely have a problem finding motivation to work out on my own, so group activities work well for me. I like having a workout buddy or be in a group because it pushes me harder than I would ever push myself. However, yoga and pilates and the evil-painful-but-oh-so-good mashup of yogalates are things I can and often do happily on my own. From dance, I know yoga routines and do those quite often. I have fitness ADD and need to constantly mix things up - I definitely used to look forward to rehearsals, but only as long as I stayed interested, which typically was never more than a year.

I am interested in getting into strength training because I know it would help me tremendously - I'm pretty damn weak - any recommendations for how to make a routine and stick to it? I am the type to get bored at the gym, so I'm not sure how spending hours in a weight room would work for me.

Steve has some wonderful topics on body-weight routines you can do at home. Have you checked those out? I'm not a weight-room guy either.

Sounds like there are a lot of options that would work well for you. I think it would be great for you to try incorporating a bunch of different kinds of fitness until you find one that sticks (or until you decide that you like doing a mash-up fitness regimen). Are there team sports in your area? I know some places have soccer, softball, frisbee, etc. leagues that you could look into. Of course, I have to plug Crossfit — constantly varied so you never get bored, group workouts, high intensity and usually short time frames (no hours in a weight room making faces in the mirror); sounds like a lot of qualities you're looking for!