Forums are back in action! ×

Finished being Fragile

Hello! My name is Sam, and I'm new to NF. I'm a 23 year old graphic designer, 5'8" and 132lbs. Here's my origin story, and why I'm excited to join this community:

I grew up thinking I was "just a weak girl". I was never sporty, preferring instead to sit inside and play video games. My parents fortunately raised me on a healthy diet (which I've maintained), so my slender build only contributed to my belief that I'm simply a fragile person.

Jump to a few years later. I graduated from college in 2012 as an anxiety-ridden mess, and tried treating it by (for the first time in my life) exercising regularly. Without research or guidance, I joined a gym and jumped into their circuit training classes. I started to feel less anxious, to really appreciate the burn of exerting myself, and I noticed (to my surprise) that I was starting to build muscle.

With real biceps developing on my arms, my eyes were finally opened to the idea that I won't have to be physically weak for the rest of my life. I can be strong. I can stop depending on others to help me do physically challenging tasks. I can change it all.

And that's where I'm starting from. I want to put on muscle, find my limits and start believing not just in my physical strength, but also in my personal, emotional and intellectual strength as well. Seems like NerdFitness is a good place to start.