Forums are back in action! ×

Hey!

I'm 24 years old, I'm a nerd but I don't play videogames (yay, everyone around here hates me now :P). I like anything that's technical. I just want to understand how things work. I always hated the biology class, but I'm getting interested in human metabolism too... it's just another incredibly complex system to hack :)

I've never been really fat, never really fit either (maybe when I was 10). I've spent most of my life making fun of people who play sports and exercise, taking pride in never doing that kind of stuff (but desperately wanting to put some adventure and crazy sports in my life). Time to stop dreaming and start doing what I truly want! (The cool thing is, I can still make fun of those who run to lose fat and those who think eating fat will kill you :D)

OK, I was going to tell stories about how it was, but I won't. I always sucked at sports, a lot more than my appearance showed. I thought it would always be this. End of the story.

Two years ago, I went to Sweden for a year as a student. I managed to get my ass to a karate class (something I had wanted to do for over 10 years). That was *great*. I didn't lose fat, I didn't gain muscle (or not much), but I had a lot of fun. I was starting to be motivated to exercise. And I really loved the muscle soreness the next day.

Not enough motivation to really start doing it, though. During the autumn I was working as an intern and getting up early to fit in a small workout before I went to work. I didn't notice any real results, though.

I stumbled upon Tim Ferris's Four Hour Body, ate slow-carb for a few weeks and did FHB-style workouts. Some time in February, I ended up on NerdFitness, and on Mark's Daily Apple. At the end of February (2011), I moved back at my parents, hoping to get out of here around mid-April. I've been exercising since April, trying to gain some strength.

I'm also trying to get less shy, more confident, less childish, more responsible. Not really working for now.

When I first came to the forums and started reading I thought that I didn't need to post here. But it looks like a fun and inspiring place, so here I am.