Forums are back in action! ×

Short(ish) and Sweet

Hey folks.

I've lurked here for quite a while before deciding to jump in and post.  I'll keep this as short as possible but detailed enough to hopefully end up with some more ideas!

My background: 30 year old Batman/Tolkien/heavy metal nerd that spent WAY too many years sitting on my butt learning to play guitar really fast.  I followed that up with a sedentary office job selling advertising.  Before I knew it, BAM 300 lbs (at 6').  On the plus side, I succeeded at being able to play guitar fast, and my company is perfectly OK with my Elvish tattoos. 

My current status: I make a significant amount of money but hate my job, and the industry in which I work.  I decided a couple of years ago that I wanted to follow in the steps of my grandfather and become a NYC firefighter.  I took the written test, and did very well.  I spent the next year not changing a single thing about my diet or lifestyle, and subsequently forgot about my goal to honor the memory of my grandfather.   

Then, I got the email saying that the FDNY hiring process was about to begin. 

I panicked a bit, but ultimately decided that I was going to give this thing my absolute best shot.  I completely revamped my lifestyle, hitting the gym and using bodyweight workout routines to undo 30 years of lazy and video games.  At some point in there I discovered Nerd Fitness (probably when I was Googling Batman workout).  I used the principle of One Thing at a Time to finally wrangle in my diet, and now, 6 weeks before the CPAT (the physical portion of the FDNY test), I am down to ~220 lbs. and am on track to pass this thing.  

Why I decided to open my mouth finally: I owe a lot to Nerd Fitness, and I want you all to share in my success when I pass this test.  And if I don't pass this test, I want Nerd Fitness to share in my success when I continue my healthy lifestyle and pursue whatever other adventures await me out there (not involving ad sales).  

Where I need help: NUTRITION!  I find it incredibly difficult to go full Paleo, and I'm sure if I were to do that (or at least eliminate some more pastas/breads from my life), I would be able to drop an extra few lbs. before the test and make my life that much easier.  

So thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for whatever advice I end up pulling from these boards and the conversations I have.  If you're interested in the CPAT and what I have ahead of me, here's a detailed look at the test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqeVJPclOy0

I have an uphill climb ahead of me (an upSTAIRS climb?), but I will get this done.  Looking forward to bringing you all with me!

"That's it!  You people have stood in my way long enough.  I'm going to clown college!"

"Some curs'd fraud of enemy hath beguil'd thee, yet unknown, and me with thee hath ruin'd, for with thee certain my resolution is to die."

That's a really neat goal! Firefighters are badass and deserve much more appreciation than they get.

I share your hate for current job industry. I'm working towards a similar goal (I work retail, but want to get my ass into trades/construction). Perhaps we can stay in touch on the forums and team up when another challenge rolls along!

Oh, and welcome to The Rebellion.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

Sounds like a plan.  The challenges look like a blast, so I'm definitely looking forward to the next one, and having a partner.  

"That's it!  You people have stood in my way long enough.  I'm going to clown college!"

"Some curs'd fraud of enemy hath beguil'd thee, yet unknown, and me with thee hath ruin'd, for with thee certain my resolution is to die."