Forums are back in action! ×

Injured runner... crawling back for something new.

Hi folks!  Newbie to this place.  Been reading the blog for awhile and decided to finally join.  My name is Nicole, I'm 33 and live in Richmond, VA.  I was an active kid in playing softball and doing gymnastics, but quitting due my punk rock awesomeness in high school and needing to eschew all things jock.  I gained weight and continued on that path until I reached close to 200lbs in my mid-20s. 

In 2009 I decided to take control and began running.  I LOVED running. But I lost no weight until I changed my food intake.  Once I found the right pairing (with the help of Weight Watchers), I dropped 55lbs.  I've kept that off. Despite the horror of the 2011 Richmond Half Marathon.  That is where I acquired IT Band Syndrome.  If you are a runner (or possibly hiker or cyclist) you are familliar with the dreaded ITBS.  Since late fall of 2011 I have had ITBS and simply cannot shake it.  Currently I am in my third round of physical therapy and am deciding to throw in the towel.  I need to find something else to do. 

I need activity.  I have had fibromyalgia since 1997.  Most of the time it stays pretty mild, but I can easily exacerbate it by not getting enough sleep or triggering my anxiety.  Yeah, I have anxiety and depression too.  Running was keeping most all symptoms away.  Now running is no longer and option.  I am slowly watching myself begin to self-medicate with food, which is why I was overweight in the first place.

So here I am.  For support. For help. To learn.

Thanks for reading the short version!

P.S. My overall goal is to be a combination of Buffy Summers/Katniss Everdeen/Charlie Matheson/Arya Stark/Tris Prior

Fear cuts deeper than swords.