Forums are back in action! ×

Hot Weather Activities

So I know I'm not the only one who lives in the southwest or experiences hot weather in the summer. I'm curious what kind of activities you have found to do in the heat that won't give you heat stroke. I can't run much unless I get up really early and it hardly drops below 80 at night in New Mexico right now. I do go swimming occaisonaly but most of my friends dont go to my pool and swimming alone is boring. Any ideas out there?

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

Totally feel you on this one, dude. I am in Arkansas and I roll my rear out of bed before 6 am on long run days because there is just no other option (I HATE the treadmill.) Otherwise, I tote my Camelbak with plenty of COLD water and sometimes wait to work out in the evenings after sundown. It's a bit later than I like and still hot, don't get me wrong, but at least it is without the compounded discomfort of the blazing sun.

When all else fails, organize river canoe trips. If you pick fun but challenging routes and make a day of it with swim breaks and a healthy picnic, you get a full body workout, tons of vitamin D, and good food to boot. :)

Intentional ignorance is the greatest of all evils.

First Challenge: Next Level

I'm curious what kind of activities you have found..

As a native Texan I am certainly used to extreme heat. I would say slowly build a tolerance to the heat by spending more and more time outside doing physical activities, and drinking lots of water.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Alright, i'll give it a shot at staying hydrated with my camelbak and by wearing a hat. I may try biking as well since I generate my own breeze by going faster. I would rather put up with the heat than rise before 6AM because during the summer I stay up late and I would have a hard time getting a regulated sleep schedule. Do you guys think it is cooler to run with or without a shirt on? *Temperature wise not looks lol...

Do you guys think it is cooler to run with or without a shirt on? *Temperature wise not looks lol...

You could look at getting an Under Armor hot weather base layer. It's basically a lycra shirt that is designed to keep you cool in hot weather. I haven't used the hot weather ones but the cold weather ones (keep you hot in the cold) are fantastic

You could look at getting an Under Armor hot weather base layer. It's basically a lycra shirt that is designed to keep you cool in hot weather. I haven't used the hot weather ones but the cold weather ones (keep you hot in the cold) are fantastic

Agreed. I just use short-sleeved or tank-tops, but I have been meaning to get some of those. Either way, I think as long as you stay hydrated you'll be fine. I've ran post 90-degree weather and still made my 3 mile run, but I drained all 50oz in my Camelbak. Just know your body, know when you need water, take precautions, and you'll be fine!

As a native Texan I am certainly used to extreme heat. I would say slowly build a tolerance to the heat by spending more and more time outside doing physical activities, and drinking lots of water.

I'm not native to the South, so I do wonder if people get used to the heat to a point where they don't really feel it. I need to get out of bed at 4:30A to get my workout in before sunrise, when it's a "nice" 80 degrees outside, but I've seen people running outside at all hours of the afternoon under direct sun. Without hydration packs.

That said, making a substitute camelpak is one of my goals for the current challenge. I've thought about rolling ice cubes into a bandana to tie around my neck as well, though recently I've just relied on my neighbor's sprinklers to get me through my runs.

"The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -- Steve Prefontaine

I live in Virginia...so it doesn't get oppressively hot (unless there's a heat wave like there was last week--heat index reached 110 degrees!) but I don't perform well in heat, plus I'm largely Irish so I get a sunburn in like three seconds of sun exposure. So I just try to run between 6 and 7 in the morning, before it gets too hot. My favourite time to run is 5 or 5:30 a.m. but I have a hard time waking up that early :P

Try bouldering. My brother and I like to go bouldering up rivers and climbing waterfalls in the summertime because it's hugely entertaining, a challenging workout, and if we get hot we just jump into the water for a minute to cool off. I don't know if you have that sort of stuff around where you live though...

Swimming, water running, canoeing/kayaking, stuff like that is always good in the summer.

But as for running, try to get out there early and make sure you hydrate extra.

My dad likes to run in the summer, but in Michigan winters, running is pretty tough. He does that Billy's Boot Camp/Tae Bo thing in the winters. It seems to work for him. There's also yoga, which can be done indoors.

But if you actually want to get outside, the only thing I'd suggest is what everyone else is saying; run in the late evening or early morning. I usually wait for the main brunt of the heat to break, then go for my run. Still hot, but tolerable.

I'm not native to the South, so I do wonder if people get used to the heat to a point where they don't really feel it.

I've gotten to this point. I've worked construction in Houston, on ranches outside of Austin, and was generally an outdoors person since high school. The only thing that has beaten me heat wise is the Hotter n' Hell 100 bike ride. I had to tap out after 82 miles. The best way to acclimate is to spend more time and more time outside. Your body will adjust.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I live 9 degrees above the equator. It's a 45 minute drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean over here. It's hot, it's humid, the sun spares no one, and if I were a smarter man, I'd have bought shares in a deodorant manufacturer to sell down here and made a fortune.

There's no getting around it, you get used to it one way or the other.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

There's no way to beat it. Either go out and deal with it, or don't go out. I usually choose the don't go out option. I live in Missouri where summers are hot and humid to a point that I feel like I could drown on a bike ride just breathing the wet air.

I refuse to run on the hottest days, it's just miserable. I don't like running enough to torture myself just to get a few miles in. Biking on the other hand, I love, so being on a bike is more bearable when it's hot. You just have to limit your time outdoors, and take extra care to stay safe--sunscreen, water, shade.

I used to have issues with forgetting to drink while cycling. So I put a label on my bike stem that says "Clip out!" and "Drink Up!". Every time I looked down I would read it then take a sip.

I cycle with either a camelbak or two water bottles depending on the mileage. The camel bak obviously makes it easier to hydrate on the move, not sure I would run with it though. I picture lots of sloshing and chaffing, haha! But that is just me. And I am more of a sprinter than a distance runner.

Now I do see myself using my camelbak to mow the lawn and do yard work. The heat has been around 100 or so plus a higher heat index with humidity (Missouri weather for ya).

Great topic by the way! Now I am reminded that I need a new bladder for the camelbak.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have dry heat here. I hate when its humid and remember swimming in San Antonio and feeling no relief getting in the pool because it was so humid out. I decided that I'd rather not have to get used to running with my Camelbak and would rather get up early or take it with me on a bike ride instead.

I live in Missouri where summers are hot and humid to a point that I feel like I could drown on a bike ride just breathing the wet air.

I can vouch for that - I'm down in SW Missouri, and we're on a 3rd or 4th consecutive week with heat indexes above 100. I do my biking after 6:00pm (still 90ish, though) and my yard work in the morning. We have a cooldown forecasted for Monday...only supposed to be 93 for 2 days, but then it will back to triple digits (and heat indexes of 110).

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Alright guys... today I left at noon for my run. I brought my Camelbak filled to the brim. It was 100 degrees. Talk about heat! I came back and my clothes were drenched.

Things to keep in mind while running in hot weather: if you ever feel dizzy, lightheaded, or nauseous, stop immediately and try and find some AC if you can. Super hot days are NOT the days you want to push yourself.