Forums are back in action! ×

Jonah is Over!

In a moment of insanity, I told Show Choir we would do a musical for the June concert. I finished writing it yesterday. Of course, it's been MOSTLY done for awhile- enough to rehearse and sing. But now... HA HA! All 6 songs are notated, with vocals, instrumentals, and piano, every scene is finished, and it's all beautifully copied. (we've been working from a collection of partial copies, hand-written notes, and rote teaching by yours truly.)

I really knuckled down this week, just 'cause I couldn't STAND it anymore. Dead tired, but it's over! Yay! Heh, my roomie and I were going to go on a long walk after I finished... but after burning the candle with an acetilyn torch all week, I only made it two miles. I ended up face-down on the futon not able to twitch a muscle. :3 But I feel GREAT today.

I'M SO GLAD IT'S DONE!

Woot! Singing is the one talent I really wish I had. I love to do it, I just don't have it!

For me, singing is like seeing a beautiful picture in my mind, and then trying to paint it and it comes out poorly. It looks right on the inside, but not right on the outside.

Which is why I play the piano and sing at the top of my lungs when both my roommates are gone. I feel bad for my cat :)

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

:3 I have yet to meet someone I could not improve vocally. Even have a monotone who is doing MUCH better. Singing, like anything else, is practice. Unfortunately, there's such a huge perception that you either "have it" or "can't" - even in the vocal education conmunity - that people accept they "can't." Singing used to be such a huge part of ALL cultures: a way of bonding, identification, passing on knowledge, passing time ...

Now, we are surrounded by "music" but not of our own making. Did you know the best way to learn to sing, is by imitation? The easiest thing for a child to imitate is another child's voice; the hardest is a piano. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to imitate a recording, not to mention all the other "noise" (drums, instruments, effects, etc.) interfering. AND most singers on the radio, etc. have very poor vocal technique, which makes it even worse.

Boys have it even worse. You're tootling along in the upper register, and then: WHAM! You get handed the vocal equivalent of a tuba! It can take up to 2 years for the changed voice to settle! Many boys give up in frustration, or wait until "it's over" only to find they still have an instrument they're completely unfamiliar with. The most importa t thing a boy can do is KEEP SINGING! Even if it sounds awful for awhile- you stay familiar with your voice, and the transition is WAY easier. ( It's just like when you had a growth spurt, and kept tripping and being clumsy.)

So ... KEEP SINGING STEVE! Join a community choir! They're usually glad to have bodies! EVERYBODY should sing!

... Ooops. :3 My choir nerd is showing. XD

I do understand your frustration, though. Ironically, I'm learning to paint, and while I can see even the brush strokes in my head... somewhere between head and hand the message gets garbled. But I am getting better! Slowly, but surely. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming!