Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there, just new here

Apologies ahead of time if I am posting in the wrong location. I will try to make a long story short

I had worked really hard a few years ago to get in shape and made it to my goal and was keeping a great pace at it, I played roller derby that helped keep that goal going for a while. I hurt my knee pretty bad finished my championship season with my team and it caused some damage and took me out for a while it seemed. Then when I tried to get back on track I could tell I just couldn’t do what I used to do anymore.

Not sure if I kept using that as an excuse (because it really did hurt) but I gained a lot of weight and misery along with it. Seemed like every time I would try something boxing classes and zumba it put me in too much pain and I was out for a couple of days so it just seemed easier to quit.

I have been planning on going to Wizard World Austin and do not want to avoid being in pictures of people I have been waiting to meet because of the way I look, also meeting some out of state in-laws did not want them to see me like that. It was a combo of a lot of things.

I set a goal 29 days ago to work out every day, and I was not going to weigh myself but just focus on working out, started with just walking the kids to school every morning, then I added jogging, then I dusted off the weights in the garage and added those. I also added the work out list that was on here a couple times a week. I pushed myself and my knee hasn’t bothered me much or have I let it be an excuse.

I am very excited to say that tomorrow is my 30 day mark and I actually completed my goal, and I feel great. I am really working on running for longer times and hope but the first of the year to do a 5k that seems so fun to do. I do not think I have lost any weight since my clothes all feel the same, but doesn't change that I feel better, and I can see changes in my arms and stomach (which one day I might be brave enough to post the pics)

It has been a long time since I have set a goal and completed it, now I am looking forward to setting my next goal. Though they may be baby steps they feel big to me and I cannot wait for them to become running steps!

Thank you for your time!

I know exactly how blaming an injury goes. I had one in January 2007 (weighted 170 back then), In December 2011, I weighted at 242.2. It was an eye opener and a brutal slap in the face. During those 6 year I had blamed my knee for now getting in shape (I wrecked it playing hockey). I started off slow, reduced portions, walking more, drinking lot's of water, eating better, cutting the junk food, working out. Now, a year and almost 9 months have past and I'm back down to 178 (as per this morning), I'm in the best shape of my life. It's the best feeling in the world.

All that to say, don't make excuses. At the end of the day, YOU are the only person putting food in YOUr mouth. YOU are the one deciding to take the stairs instead of the elevator. YOU are the one making the decision and YOU know what you want. Now if YOU want to get in shape and healthy, well YOU do and go that. NF will support you along the way because we're like a big family. YOU got this, we know YOU can do it. Show us what YOU can do.

YOU've done great progress so far with those 30 days, now keep going! :D

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

That's awesome! Congrats on reaching your goal.  I have definitely struggled with an injury and used it many times as an excuse for just about everything.  Although to be honest I would probably still use it to avoid meeting my in-laws.  I kid I kid.......but no really, I would.  I'm new as well and haven't developed my battle plan yet so goals are in the works, but its success story's like yours that are inspiring me to change.