Forums are back in action! ×

Hi

I'm 34 and female. I've signed up to this to see if it can help cure me of my sugar addiction. I've spent years trying to give it up but my sweet tooth always prevails. I'm lucky that I have a quick metabolism so I don't really put on weight but the amount of money I've spent on migraine medication is too much to even think about. The problem with having a fast metabolism is that I'm always hungry and I just can't seem to find healthy food to fill me. I go through phases of detox where I'm determined not to eat anything sweet but after about 10 days I fall off the wagon. Fruit just doesn't hit the same spot. If I could just eat one biscuit and not the whole package in one go it would be ok!! Plus at the moment I'm unemployed which means I'm out of routine, I am low in self-esteem and finding it tough to motivate myself.

But I've signed up so that's the first step!

Welcome to NF, Swan! Ah, the curse of the sweet tooth, I know it well. As a fellow person with a quick metabolism, I know where you're coming from. I can destroy a pack of oreos faster than a honey badger in a deli. I'm sorry to hear that you're in a bit of a rut and motivation is in short supply, but this is a great community made up of some amazing people. 

I'd like to offer a few tips that may help you. These have helped me out in the past. Please feel free to find the things that work for you:

• Set up a routine for your job search. Pretend your current job (8-5) is to find & research great employers for your client (you). I'd recommend visiting askamanager.org for some useful job search advice. The site is geared towards a US audience, but there is a ton of great, professional advice (I'm guessing you're from the UK -> "biscuits" rather than "cookies").
  • Drink more water.
  • Next time you have a craving for sweets, tell yourself that you have to have one healthy snack before going after the sugar. Just one. It could be an apple, orange, carrot, squash, whatever. But make your choice to indulge in sugar a conscious decision rather than an automatic response. It helps give you time to think about what you're actually doing.
  • I like to read about the lives of inspiring people to stay motivated. Bruce Lee is someone I recommend learning more about.

Sorry for the wall of text and if I'm coming off as preachy. I don't mean to be. I've just experienced similar situations. Again, welcome and best of luck to you.

"The Iron never lies to you." -Henry Rollins