Forums are back in action! ×

Just a Small Milestone in Squats and First Attempt at Assisted Pull-Ups

Okay, so maybe not much of a milestone, but I felt pretty proud of myself womaning myself up to finally do this!

I've been eying on powerlifting, but was too timid to do free weights.  I guess taking a free class at my gym, where the instructor was a great guy that encouraged women to use free weights and not be afraid of barbells.  We did arm curls with barbells, but still, it was enough to make me go ROAR!!!  I know what I want to do, lol.

So today, knowing how much I'd enjoy lifting weights, I decided to go ahead and attempt doing squats with dumbells.  I knew I wouldn't be ready for barbells quite yet, I wouldn't know how to do the correct form with a barbell and I'm not completely confident with my squats yet.

I first attempted 8lbs and did 3 sets of 10 reps.  I found that the 8lbs were a bit much for me, my arms were getting tired out holding them up, so I went to 5lbs.

I did another 3 sets of 10 reps with the 5lbs.  I thought I was do only 2, but decided to push myself.

I find it kinda hard to maintain my squat form with the dumbells, but I think I was kinda getting the hang of it!  My legs did feel tired after I was done and my abs felt like they were being worked out, and I didn't seem to have that problem with my back ending up aching sometimes instead of my abs when I squat.

After I finished with the abs, I decided I'd also try doing pull-ups, assisted pull-ups to be exact.  I was looking at the pull-up bar but felt too afraid to use it.  I felt like some of the more macho people, who seem to hang out on the other side of the gym, would look at me funny at my failed attempt of using it.  I decided to forget it and who cares if I fail?  I wanted to see if I could do some pull-ups.

I know the assisted pull-up bars at the gym aren't recommended, but it's the only things I got since I have nothing to use for assisted pull-ups at home.  Unless I decide to bring a chair to the playground of my old elementary school, which I don't even know if the chair will work cuz they remodeled their playground completely.

Anyway!  I got right on that machine after staring at it for a few minutes and reading the directions on how to use the assist.  I had the assist put at around 72 pounds.  I had my arms wide apart past shoulder length (not too wide) as directed in the NR article, and pulled until my chin got past the bar.

I did 1 set of 6 reps and attempted another set, but only got to 4 reps the second time.  It was too much for me, but at least I attempted!

xD  I really need to work on strengthening my arms!  I haven't been working them out much!

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

I have no quarrels with the assisted pull-up machines, I think they are a valid place to start. You do have to be careful of body position as on most machines it is far different than you might experience with a hanging pull-up. The one at our gym tends to have your knees back a little too far so your whole body is angled slightly the wrong way. 

There are a couple of other good options for training into pull-ups such as inverted rows and doing negatives where you would use a lower bar such that you can jump to the top of pull-up position and then slowly lower yourself down to hanging.  Similar movement to a pull-up, but done in reverse and it's easier. Chin-ups are good too - easier, but again, working similar muscles.

Pushups (modified to start) are a good means of strengthening your arms.

M2M

- Do something everyday!

First challenge: Avoiding the Demons of Autumn

^^  Thanks!  I did read the article on here on starting pull-ups, so I am a bit aware on what exercises to do to start getting into full on pull-ups.

And I'll look more into push-ups!  That's actually a good idea!  I'll go look up the article we have on doing them properly.  =P

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0