Forums are back in action! ×

Roller Derby

I didn't see a thread on Roller Derby on here so I thought I'd start one. Discuss off-skates fitnness, injuries and so on. I think theres a lot of Nerd/Derby crossover, the puns, the personas. At times I swear it borders on LARP.

FYI My skate name is Blunderbolt, I'm a newbie ref (like, pre-min skills new) for Severn Roller Torrent in Gloucestershire, England.

Also, discussion point: whats the nerdiest Derby name you've seen? One of our A Team blockers is called Jedi Mistress, my friends are fresh meat but are going with the names Chocolate Pain and Gory Doctorow :)

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

Really wasn't expecting to come into the thread and see it started by someone from SRT! Tiger Bay Brawler NSO here.

My favourite nerdy derby name is probably JK Rolling.

Ha! Brilliant!

Kid Block came and ran a coching session for us the other weekend. I didnt take part though. I forgot my gumhshield like an idiot so sat it out

Level 3 Roller Knight

Ayup, definitely. I'm backing Brawling  obviously.

More importantly. Severn Roller Torrent is (almost definitely) through to the finals of the Heartlands League. The'yre at the top of the western division with one bout left for each team.  It remains to be seen whether they get through as division winners or runners up.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Hello everyone, I was hoping to find some roller derby peeps on here.

Name is Scooby and I'm the head ref for the Rubber City Roller Girls in Akron, Ohio
I want to "back" London in champs but being from Ohio I have to stick with OVRG to bring it home. Most likely I will be pulling for them after OVRG plays Gotham in the second round.

As for most nerdy player name I would have to say
Georgia Rollmero
MasHER Chief

• Like 1

I dunno about derby names for individuals, but my favourite team name is the Motor City Disassembly Line (from Detroit, I think, it's a traveling team from the States). They were playing (?) against our local traveling team, CN Power (as in CN Tower) and I was totally cheering for the Motor City team just because their name was so much more epic than the local team's.

Dare mighty things

Guest Dirty Deads

I'd very much like to get involved in some RD. I need to get my fitness in line before I try out. I have a host of names/personas I'm excited about. One of which is of course, Lord Rolldemort. Of course, I can never be sure my name isn't taken can I? I really enjoy the idea of creativity allowed within a sport. Any suggestions on getting started?

Guest Dirty Deads

I'd very much like to get involved in some RD. I need to get my fitness in line before I try out. I have a host of names/personas I'm excited about. One of which is of course, Lord Rolldemort. Of course, I can never be sure my name isn't taken can I? I really enjoy the idea of creativity allowed within a sport. Any suggestions on getting started?

Found it,  it is indeed taken. Wow...there are a LOT of names on this list.

Derby can force fitness on you and if your experience is anything like mine, you can work on your fitness while you learn to skate. Whereabouts are you based? Would you be looking to join a male team? Or train with a female team. I do the latter training to be a referee too but if the oppurtunity came about, I would so start a men's team in Gloucestershire.

For names? Keep on punning and checking. I came up with about 7 and held a poll. the one that won was Blunderbolt (because if my clumsiness and dyspraxia) Other ones included Skate Pilgrim, the Oncoming Storm, the Soya Destroyer.

Im trying to take the gamification/creativity of Derby and Nerdfitness as part of my training. I'm a bit of a daydreamer and I think it'd add to my motivation. Blunderbolt doesnt really strike fear into the hearts of men, but it will!

Level 3 Roller Knight

Guest Dirty Deads

Derby can force fitness on you and if your experience is anything like mine, you can work on your fitness while you learn to skate. Whereabouts are you based? Would you be looking to join a male team? Or train with a female team. I do the latter training to be a referee too but if the oppurtunity came about, I would so start a men's team in Gloucestershire.

For names? Keep on punning and checking. I came up with about 7 and held a poll. the one that won was Blunderbolt (because if my clumsiness and dyspraxia) Other ones included Skate Pilgrim, the Oncoming Storm, the Soya Destroyer.

Im trying to take the gamification/creativity of Derby and Nerdfitness as part of my training. I'm a bit of a daydreamer and I think it'd add to my motivation. Blunderbolt doesnt really strike fear into the hearts of men, but it will!

Thanks, I am looking to train in Vancouver, Wa/ Portland,Or area. I found a few groups of men only leagues here, so I'm shooting to play with them. I'd have no problem training with women though. I believe the coaches for the teams I looked at are women.

I'm excited about the fitness part. I'm looking forward to falling down...a lot! If you can't have fun with it, why bother right?

So far I've come up with about 20 names that don't seem to be taken. I'm trying to come up with a few that go well with a number like "Love Punchin #9" I don't want to be called Love for short though. Other's I'm not likely to use, but seem fun(probably taken, but I can't find them) are Marko DaBeast #666, Brute O'mars, and Baroque O'bama (with appropriate period attire).

Hold a poll. Let the people decide.

Sounds good. I wish there was a mens team near me but I'm working towards my driving license and then I can more easily get to Bristol or Birmingham  and train with other teams (namely Vice Quad and Crash Test Brummies).

Falling is fun and frightening and getting over your fear of it is a great feeling but that comes from confidence in falling the correct way. I bailed a landing in my minimum skills test and fell on my back/shoulders, I'm still aching two weeks later!

For the record, I like Marko DaBeast.

hmm, we should form a club for combination lifters/Derby skaters. Swoller Derby anyone? :P

Level 3 Roller Knight

Guest Dirty Deads

Hold a poll. Let the people decide.

Sounds good. I wish there was a mens team near me but I'm working towards my driving license and then I can more easily get to Bristol or Birmingham  and train with other teams (namely Vice Quad and Crash Test Brummies).

Falling is fun and frightening and getting over your fear of it is a great feeling but that comes from confidence in falling the correct way. I bailed a landing in my minimum skills test and fell on my back/shoulders, I'm still aching two weeks later!

For the record, I like Marko DaBeast.

hmm, we should form a club for combination lifters/Derby skaters. Swoller Derby anyone? :tongue:

YES!! SWOLLER DERBY!!

Guest Dirty Deads

For your name, or just as a thing?

Also, I'm assuming as a NF relative-veteran you're decent at squatlifting? good,  because good derby stance should be a near permanent squat (its what I'm focusing on,)

Just as a thing. I am a decent squatter. about 500 lbs. I should be getting more endurance squatting though.

Just as a thing. I am a decent squatter. about 500 lbs. I should be getting more endurance squatting though.

Good call, I have no idea what my max is, I got out of practice a while ago. Still, I go back this week.

sounds weird but do you think going down in a squat and holding it for longer would be a good idea for derby excercise?

Level 3 Roller Knight

Guest Dirty Deads

Good call, I have no idea what my max is, I got out of practice a while ago. Still, I go back this week.

sounds weird but do you think going down in a squat and holding it for longer would be a good idea for derby excercise?

I do. I think taking about 50% of your max and doing static holds and 3/4 squats would be excellent. Also alternating stances would probably be helpful. I think I'll add some split squats to my routine as well.

thanks for pointing me in the direction of this thread too.

i'm in a low contact league in NZ, well i haven't been for about 6 months but yeah getting back into it very soon. My derby name is Hells Belle.

We have quite a few leagues all over NZ, the Wellington league that i support is called Richter City. They have three teams, Brutal Pageant, Comic Slams and Smash Malice.

• Like 1

Race: Dwarf. Class: Warrior. Level: 4 STR: 9 DEX: 4 STA: 5 CON: 7 WIS: 8 CHA: 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Challenge 1: BBWW will be my bitch Browncoat

Challenge 2: Calling in the Cavalry Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 3: K.I.S.S. Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 4: Back in Black  C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Challenge 5: It's my Strong Hand

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"