Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys! I'm David and this is my first post on this forum so go easy on me :)

So here is the thing: I absolutely LOVE gaming. I have been playing games since I was 7 and I still remember playing games via family's Pentium 2 computer (Pentium 3 was too expensive back in the day),

Throughout my childhood and even now, my parents tried everything to stop me from gaming. I had to convince that PlayStation 3 was a Blue Ray DVD player to buy it. They were totally bummed out when they realize it could also play games :D My parents in the end, have accepted the fact that gaming and I could never be apart (still occasionally yell at me when I'm still awake at 4 am) .

But obviously, playing games continuously and sometimes uncontrollably, had brought several consequences.

When I was going through my intermediate, I was 90kg and 100kg during my high school days. My GP (doctor) would tell me to get out more often and start exercising as I was morbidly obese, not to mention all the bullying I had to go through from fellow students ( boys only school :tongue:).

I've decided to change, and currently I am 83kg with 14% body fat. It was hard, but I think I got used to it. I dunno if it's a gamer's mentality thing, but every time I've reached a goal (eg loose 5kg), I kept on making new ones and thought of them as an achievement being unlocked. I still play games, but now I try to balance it with other things.

Now that I am being considered as "normal" (on the outside), my university friends and co workers often engaged in conversations about how gamers are nerdy, unhealthy, girl friend-less and socially awkward. I tend to brush it off  (they don't know I am a gamer) or change the topic. But to be honest, I was saddened to hear these general stereotypes and the fact that in some cases, the stereotypes are indeed true.

I joined this rebellion because I wanted to somehow influence this negative stereotypes of gamers : I will be on a crusade to be the exact opposite of the perceived gamer and prove that gamers can be sociable, ripped and be nerdy at the same time. I will help and support gamers who wants change and slay dragons and shoot grenade launchers during the process. This will be my new Achievement I will try to unlock.

I might even try to create an exercise scheme while playing games ( e.g: after dying in CS:GO, do 20 push ups/sit ups for being a noob).

For those of you who have read this post, I thank you for letting me share my life-story. God bless you all.    

Oh shit, another counter-strike player! Add me on steam lol, duality92 :tongue: I play source most of the time.

On another note, I'm exactly in the same situation, I used to be in Cal-i back in the day and won a few tourneys :tongue:

For me it was exactly the same, situation wise, I'm the uber computer geek (sponsored pc builder and all). Then I just realized that if others have the right to express what they like, why the fuck I don't? Just because the society has a ridiculous stereotype on gamers? So because I'm an attention whore and what not, I get my sponsored pc parts shipped directly at work and my work computer background is my sponsors logo. I'm proud of my accomplishments, I'm proud to be a gamer, I advertise myself as a gamer, fuck what people think, you have the change to teach those people that the stereotype they know is complete bullshit.

I started working here I was at 242 (110 kgs) pounds, 42% bf, I'm now at 176 (80 kgs), 17.5% bf over the course of a year and 8 months. I'm fit and everyone knows that too. So no one, I mean no one has the stereotypes that were associated with gamers because I've proved them otherwise.

Be proud to be a gamer, show it off, people won't think differently of you if you tell them you're a gamer, they'll be shocked and move on. It's not like you're telling them you're highly contagious with a deadly virus.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

DOUBLE POST!

Euh, Also, for that goal thing, you're never really "finished". Having a sense of progressions and completed goals, makes our brain release some chemicals that stimulate us in a certain way that we want more. So essentially, if you can make a game out of it, it get's fun and challenging and you will want more. On a fitness and health standpoint, that's excellent! I don't do it that way because I'm experimenting with how my system reacts to certain changes and what not. I don't have any goals set, but I do track my progression to get the same effect :P

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173