Forums are back in action! ×

Hey hey!

A friend of mine turned me onto this wonderful movement only yesterday. My friends consider me some sort of "health aficionado", so I figured this website couldn't offer me anything. After only 10 minutes, I found that this exactly what I need. So here is my tale.

Back in high school, I remember always being the fat kid. When i was in 4th grade, my weight was around 200, and in high school i was always over 300. I could blame a lot of people for it (my mom, my aunts, World of Warcraft) but after reading the "10 rules" of this website, I can only blame myself.

So then came college. I found myself walking places, and eating a tad bit better. After my first year at college, I was down to 260. By the end of my sophomore year I was down to 210, and at the end of that summer was below 180. Sadly, being below 180 was due to some extremely bad health choices, such as eating very little, but going on 20 mile bike rides. I was dealing with some pretty stressful things, but hey no excuses, right? I remember trying to walk up the stairs of my apartment and passing out due to lack of nutrition in my diet. I knew something was wrong, but I was being asked on dates by attractive ladies, so who was I to complain?

When my junior year started I promised myself to not end up looking and acting like an emaciated horse. I started eating more, and working out like a crazy person. Sadly, college can be daunting and I found myself unable to work out as often. This wasn't really a problem, until a lovely lady walked into my life, and we began to spend what little free time we had together playing video games, and other nerdy activities. Over this time, my weight shot up to around 200-210.

It is not the summer after my junior year, heading into my senior year of college, and I've been hitting it hard (which is what she said). I've been eating mostly right, or so I thought, and have been using The Insanity workout to really give myself the cardio I desperately crave. My plan isn't perfect, but I'm hoping this website can help me tighten up in those places I've been slacking.

So, what can I do to help this rebellion? First off, I know what it's like to be "large and in charge". I started my weight-loss journey over 310 pounds, and am now under 200, and a pretty healthy 200. I can offer some help to those who need the motivation, or how to start those little things. Oh, and I understand the importance of slowly losing weight, not some sort of crash diet.

Sure, we're all obsessed with weight, but it's important to remember to think about the bigger picture: measurements. You might not lose any weight, but if your biceps are getting bigger, and your waist is getting smaller, then you're doing something right. If you JUST focus on weight, then you could start to get down on yourself.

I'm also an Education major, so I can help teach people..or something. Oh, and I'm awesome at Mortal Kombat and Pokemon.

Finally, I leave you with a quote that has helped me through my journey not only in weight loss, but also life. It's from the book "Kingdom Of This World."

But man's greatness consists in the very fact of wanting to be better than he is. In laying duties upon himself.-Alejo Carpentier

Good luck,

Granicus