Forums are back in action! ×

Rage Against the Hamster Wheels (I Don't Wanna be Roadkill)

Hello, everyone!

I am HerSquirreliness (I go by Squirrely) and I have decided to come out of lurkdom.  I found NerdFitness during summer 2012 after deciding to so something about the 30 pounds I'd gained from stress and eating too much pasta.  I went Paleo and made sure I went for walks more often and lost all the weight I'd gained.  I am continuing to eat 85% Paleo and I have zero desire to consume any sort of pasta anytime soon.  This community has also influenced my purchase of some VFF KSOs, which I think are much more suitable for squirrels.

Being a smallish rodent-type of person (I stand at a mighty 5;1" or so) who happens to have a very evident disability, I would like to emphasize my independence by starting a weight training regimen.  I want to be able to easily carry my hordes of food home with less difficulty and fewer offers for help from (often well-meaning) other people.  I also want to live a healthier life so that I can live long enough to see and participate in the amazing discoveries that humanity and to possibly get my brain downloaded into a computer.

I love hiking and random wilderness adventures and video games.  My favorites are The Elder Scrolls, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, and Pokemon.  I read ridiculous amounts of fantasy, science fiction, and non-fiction.  I love science, especially cosmology and psychology.  I also happen to be good at art.  I'm a college student and am often quite busy with classes, so my responses might be somewhat slow.

It is fantastic to be here!

Earth Nymph Adventurer

STR 1 / DEX 2 / STA 2 / CON 2 / WIS 3 / CHA 4

WELCOME TO THE REBELLION!! I hope you like it here! College is fun, great times to start growing into the person you want to be. What goals do you have in mind towards a healthier lifestyle? 

btw, Hiking is awesome, I always love the view at the end of a good quest-- err I mean hike >.>

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hi, and thanks for the welcome!

I'm enjoying my time in college, even if it's a pain sometimes.  I truly believe that I'm becoming who I want to be and I feel all the more fabulous for it.

I have some specific goals in mind, but I might need some help in defining others.  It's why I decided to de-lurk in the first place, haha.

I would like to be closer to 95% Paleo for one.  I'm starting that by cleaning out my pantry of the extra canned goods and condiments.  I have a weakness for English muffins and coffee/tea with half-and-half, so I'm going to start restricting those things to the weekend and I'm switching from black tea with cream to green tea on weekdays.  I've even bought some stevia to try to see if I like it.  Fortunately, tea is about the only thing I eat with sugar and other sweet things taste gross to me now.

Another goal I want to start further down the road is to make more food in massive batches for easier access during the week and to help me resist temptations to buy processed foods.

For exercise, I already walk everywhere.  If I can walk there in the same amount of time that it takes me to wait for a bus and the route isn't dangerous, I have to walk.  If it's 2 miles away or less and I'm not pressed for time, I have to walk.  I'm never allowed to take the elevator and I always carry my groceries home.  I've been doing that for some time now and I need a new, small habit to add to that.

I'm having a hard time deciding what my weightlifting workout at the gym is going to be yet.  I'm kind of confused and overwhelmed in deciding what I need to do.  I need to decide within the next week or or so because that's when my gym application gets processed.  I also want to find something to do on off-days that does not involve me dealing with any sort of cardio machine because I simply cannot stand those.  I used to be pretty decent at running when I was in high school, so maybe I can do something like that.

Earth Nymph Adventurer

STR 1 / DEX 2 / STA 2 / CON 2 / WIS 3 / CHA 4

Heh, looks like you've got a pretty solid foundation to build on. That's a great sign! Well for the most part, you can look up general weightlifting exercises (Squats, Deadlifts, Presses) Then you can pick the brains of the Warriors for more advanced questions about what you want to develop. I believe there are articles pertaining to formulating a plan and sticking with it, but for the most part, the Warriors will have your answers. Most people do Cardio on their off-days, just make sure you don't push yourself too hard. I guess you'd be a Ranger, Lifting and Running sounds like a good combo

You've got potential to try out a lot of things, just take your time, and find your groove. You can do this!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."