Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebel, Reporting In!!!

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've taken part in online forums, and I'm glad to join the Rebellion!

A little about myself, I'm currently in the last year of professional school, obtaining my PharmD. Given that, I'm just on clinical rotations right now, opposed to 7 classes with at least 1 exam every week for the last two years. So I actually have a lot more time than I'm used to right now. 

As for the health stuff, I'm currently 25 years old (will be 26 on October 21st). I'm 5' 1.5" (yes that half inch matters). As of this morning I weighed 121.8 pounds, which is a decrease from the initial 123.7 pounds 11 days ago. My weight's been fluctuating a lot, and at one point in between Day 1 and Day 11 I've gotten up to 125.2 pounds on my scale, but in the last month it's reached up to 128 before. I used to average around 118 prior to starting Pharmacy school, and even then I wasn't quite happy with myself. The scary part for me is that when I went to the doctor's office and they calculated my BMI to be 24.1 or something like that and just knowing that gaining a few more pounds would land me in the clinically overweight category made me really uneasy and I decided to take action.

For me, most of my unhappiness stems from the muffin top and belly flab which is where I carry all of my extra weight. Otherwise I'm pretty petite. My ultimate goal isn't to lose weight, but it's to get rid of the excess fat around the abdomen area so I can be more content with myself. That and fit into my clothes better, things haven't been fitting right since I've gained the weight and being the poor student I am, I'm too poor to buy any new clothes. But numbers are what helps me keep track of things, so ultimately my goal weight is somewhere between 110-115, depending on how I feel I'm progressing and how I perceive myself.

If you're going to say that I don't need to lose the weight, I don't want to hear it. It's all I've been hearing the last 11 days since I started my own fitness month challenge from the people around me out in the real world. I came here just to find some support, because this is the first time I've gotten down and serious with trying to lose the belly and shave the pounds. Pretty much everyone around me is very un-supportive of this action, and for the most part none of my friends are active individuals either, so it's just been really hard trying to continue on when all I get is negative backlashes. 

I do have a blog that I've been using to record my weights, water intake, and more or less of what I eat. It can be found at http://zexification.wordpress.com/ if anyone's interested.

You're exactly like my sister.  She is petite but has some muffin top and belly flab and when she says she needs to lose weight people shoot her down.  You probably look great but you are your own worse critic and always want to look your best.  I think for you, like my sister, it's not so much about losing weight, it's more about toning up and body composition; although, you would also like to shed a few unwanted pounds.  You should be able to find a wealth of information on here to help you on your goals.  I vaguely checked out your training, if I were you, in my *opinion*, I would lessen the cardio and boost up the resistance training while also changing the cardio from long endurance runs to sprints and jogs like HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) like when you play racquetball.  But give what you're doing now a chance as you're only about 2 weeks in it seems you're working hard at it and patience is key, results don't happen overnight.  Also, the muffin top may be stubborn fat.  You can try intermittent fasting as well to get rid of that.  You can read up on that on here.  I find working out in a fasted state has hastened results.  You are doing great and it seems confusing why everyone would be un-supportive of your goals, maybe they are jealous that you have shown initiative in becoming physically fit?  Quite possible.