Forums are back in action! ×

New and need help - getting over long-term illness

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for awhile now. My thought was that I could just read enough posts and then apply what I learned on my own, but it's not going well and I need some community encouragement and support (and you're all such awesome people). 

I'm 23. I was a runner and a rock climber and a very productive, energetic, nerdy* college student until four years ago, when I suddenly got very sick. I ended up being diagnosed with an infection-induced autoimmune disease and I've been battling it ever since. I had to drop out of school and I went from being able to run twelve miles to being unable to climb a single flight of stairs. The infection spread throughout my brain and nervous system and basically destroyed my body and my mind. I was in constant pain, and at age 20 I had to start using a cane. 

After more than three years of grueling treatment, I'm finally starting to get better and I'm looking at the prospect of rebuilding my life. It's really daunting. I have the doctor's okay to exercise again and I want to get back in shape and be active, but I don't really know where to begin. I'm starting over with basically nothing in the way of fitness. I also want to finish college, and my hope is that if I can get control of one aspect of my life (fitness) then it will help me work towards other goals too. 

Anyway, sorry for this long post! Thank you for reading and I'm excited to be a part of this community! 

I'd especially love to hear from anyone else who is dealing with or coming out of a long-term or chronic illness. 

Best wishes to you all!

- Sam

*My nerd cred: I studied physics and mathematics in college. I still avidly collect Pokemon cards and have strong opinions about why the original Star Trek is the best and which of Jupiter's moons NASA should send a probe to first.

Wow tough dude, hope you get better and all is well.

My immune system used to be shit. Lately I have not been sick my immune system is 100 times stronger, and I all did was:

Cut out grains and most dairy. Pretty much Primal diet.

Started taking super high quality multi, AOR Ortho-Core.

FIsh oil

And weight training. (heavy low reps)

My hay fever has gone and I have not had the flu, I used to always be sick and got the flu super easy.

Anyway give it a good and see how it helps.

Also I think going Paleo/Primal is why my immune system is stronger because with cows, grain fed cows need to be shot up with antibiotics and crap, where as grass fed cows just roam freely and don't get sick.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

Also I think going Paleo/Primal is why my immune system is stronger because with cows, grain fed cows need to be shot up with antibiotics and crap, where as grass fed cows just roam freely and don't get sick.

Thanks! I definitely want to make some dietary changes since that's one thing I can control regardless of being sick. I'm just starting to look into this stuff and so this might be a dumb question, but is there a difference between Paleo and Primal? 

Hey Sam,

What do you think helps you stick to a healthy diet? Perhaps keeping bad foods out of the house? Planning your meals?  We all have our "tools" to keep to a healthy lifestyle, so I'm always interested in hearing what other people use... It's usually your best bet to stick with what you know works for you rather than work against your strengths :)

Good luck!!