Forums are back in action! ×

New to the rebellion!

I'm 44 years old, I've been overweight/obese all of my adult life, and I have never been in any shape other than round (lol).  I developed type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed in 2010.  My desire to avoid dying young is my primary motivation for "getting in shape".

I've done nearly every diet imaginable, and I've gone through countless periods of trying different things in the gym (elliptical, weight machines, all the stuff that is "supposed" to work), but never achieved any long lasting results.  About a month ago, I got serious about eliminating refined carbohydrates from my diet to get better control of my blood sugar, and I got more deliberate about exercising; I made it a point to walk my dogs at least 1 mile, three days a week.  I am up to walking a little over 2 miles at a time, and I have dropped 4 pounds.  However, walking was not doing anything to develop strength in my upper body, and I wanted an exercise routine that did not require a gym or expensive equipment.  A friend of mine suggested Bodyweight exercises.  A google search of "bodyweight" lead me to this site, and I watched the beginners bodyweight routine.

Today is the first day of my journey.  I took my dogs for an 18 minute walk to warm up, did one set of the beginner bodyweight routine, and stretched afterward.  If someone would have told me I would be as sore as I am right now after just one set, I would not have believed them.  I appreciate being sore though; it tells me the bodyweight routine engaged muscles that have not been used probably ever.  

I've set a six week goal to do the beginner bodyweight routine 3 days a week, and take the dogs on a lengthy walk (1 mile minimum) 3 days a week.  My goal is to drop weight, increase strength, and hopefully get to where my diabetes can be managed without medication.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experience and hearing about everyone else's experience.