Forums are back in action! ×

Introductions round 2

So, I posted an introduction a few months ago, but have not been so successful with levelling up my life.  So, I've officially decided to rededicate myself to the cause, and figured I might as well go for a new introduction!

I'm Kel, and I'm a 24 year old musician currently working as a cashier and I'm based out of New England, USA.  I've been struggling with my weight all my life.  Currently I'm weighing in at 214lbs, which at 5'3" is not healthy at all.  In addition to shedding some pounds I'm really hoping to get a lot stronger, and recently discovered that I enjoy strength training!  My husband supports me in words, but not always in actions so that can be a bit difficult, but my parents and sister (who is also a Rebel here, thanks CraftyChemist for introducing me!) are very supportive.

As for being a nerd, I've held that title for as long as I can remember.  I've always been an avid fantasy reader (Harry Potter, anything David Eddings, and I've most recently decided to tackle Game of Thrones before watching the show).  I love my sci-fi TV (Farscape, Firefly, Doctor Who, Star Trek) and love the VG Mass Effect.  I've always had an appreciation for science (just not the best aptitude for it, sadly).  

So, why do I have to recommit to getting my life in better shape?  One of my biggest hurdles is that I've been struggling with depression since I was about 12 years old.  I was doing better and then it hit again last winter, and it's been a big struggle for me ever since.  That being said, I was not hesitant about giving advice to others who were going through similar things, but I could never seem to follow my own advice.  I was always feeling drained and could not find any motivation.

Another issue I've had is that between working as a cashier (8 hours standing on concrete) and rehearsals that are mostly spent standing I've been so exhausted that I can't find the energy to fit a workout in.  If anyone has advice on that, I'd love to hear it!  I know a big issue is my diet, but I do enjoy working out when I don't feel half dead.  Unfortunately working out beforehand just leaves me drained halfway through my shift.

Here's to making sure everything's shiny, so that we're not to fret.

Music is the strongest form of magic- Marilyn Manson

Oh snap!  A farscape fan, the nerdiest of the nerds.  Love it!

You like strength training!?  Wicked, a good HQ protein source after a hard workout, lots of vegetables, less processed carbs/sugars blah blah blah (you know this stuff) and you will be well on your way to losing weight, and also feeling less tired.  I know that the days when I can manage to have ZERO processed carbs and sugars I definitely feel more inclined to do those hard workouts I know my body needs.  Not to say you should cut these things all the time, just something that worked for me and the weird night shift work I was doing.

And get your employer to pony up for a rubber mat for you, standing on cement is brutal.

Welcome!