Forums are back in action! ×

It's been a while...

Man, it's been a few years since I was on Nerd Fitness.  I think the last time I posted was in 2011 while I was in Iraq.  I loved this site and giving out advice but when I got in shape and I redeployed it kind of fell by the wayside.  Kind of feel bad becasue Steve Kamb gave me a t-shirt for the forum participation and promoting NF around the various units I worked with in the Army, but once I redeployed family and regular American life took over. 

Anyway, I'm still in the Army only I'm a Captain now and I have had a daughter to go along with my son.  The reason I'm coming back is despite the fact that I lost nearly 40 lbs of fat and kept it off for a little over a year, two knee surgeries required me to be down from walking for two months and exercise for about a year.  Suffice to say I gained it all back and a little more, mainly from becoming instantaniously sedentary and self pitty over my situation causing me to throw all dieting out the window. 

Luckily, the Army has gained a better understanding of post deployment life and have created a "wellness" program for us that would normally cost thousands of dollars.  It includes get metabollic testing including your resting metabollic rate, a fitness metabollic test, a bod pod, and various briefings on what each individual needs to do.  So since then I have lost about 12 lbs. of the 40 or so I gained back despite not being able to do HIIT or other interval training.

The basic premise is that you can't outwork a bad diet and people that say "oh, I'll just work this off later" after eating a doughnut are sadly mistaken.  Anyway, I just wanted to say that I will try and participate more like I did a few years back and to thank Steve for the inspiration. 

-Chad