Forums are back in action! ×

Pull-Up Challenge Discussion/Feedback

My wife and I are on day 18 of a 30 day push-up challenge, and it got me thinking about other fitness challenges that might be fun.

Okay, so I'm sure everyone knows who Tony Horton is.  If not, check him out.  He changed my life.

Anyway, he's a badass, and he can do 40 pull-ups. 

How awesome would it be to be able to say you can do more pull-ups than Tony?

I'm looking for ideas on how to structure the challenge and maybe for a few ambitious rebels to do it with me and post progress.

I was considering a 30 day timeframe, but I'm pretty doubtful that I'd be able to achieve 41 pull-ups in that time.  45-60 days might work better...maybe.

Here's my initial plan...  post-15925-0-95309300-1382108036_thumb.j

Any thoughts, suggestions, or interest in participation???

Unless you have a few things going for you (IE built like a gymnast) or are very close, chances are 40+ pull-ups is a LONG ways away. Once you get to the upper teens and beyond, progress slows big time.

I've been doing pullups as a regular part of my workouts for almost 2 years and am up to 72 in about 7:25, but still nowhere near 40 in a single set (somewhere in the high 20's probably).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

My dad's in his 50's

he's been doing pull ups since- gee as long as I can remember- being a Marine it was a requirement, I remember he was doing them when I was at a school- he was up to about sets of 20.  Years- he's been doing them for years.

definitely a SLOW slow process LOL but have at it!

It also depends on what sort of pull ups you are after.

Kipping/momentum pull ups (a lot of cross fitters do this type) - there are videos on youtube of people doing 100+ in ridiculously short periods of time.

Avoiding full ROM and doing partial ROM in your strongest arc of motion - one my old bosses who was 65+ years old could do 70+ chin ups this way. Very impressive and much better than me, but definitely not full ROM.

But dead hang strict full ROM 40 pull ups? If your first day is 10 pull ups, I'm siding with Waldo on this one.

This is a youtube video of someone (Fortress) doing 40 strict pull ups. He is able to do weighted one arm pull ups and other impressive bodyweight feats. He is struggling at the end.

Please feel free to use this as motivation... and if you do succeed with the strict variation - please post videos and show the rest of us how :) lol.

Thanks for the input guys, and I think you're right. 41 PU's in 30, 60, or even 90 days is not realistic. That's probably more of a long term goal.

I need to give it more thought, but I'm thinking something closer to 25 in 30 days may be more do able.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk